Chapter 36

Levy slowly guided a timid Lucy out of the building and into the open. They had already completed the rebuilding of the rooms that were destroyed and Lucy was impressed by their efficiency as she looked around at the new planks of wood covering the holes.

Everyone was sitting around the fire pit again, except this time, the light from the flames danced along everyone's faces. The forest was silent and the princess briefly wondered if they were waiting for her.

Levy tugged her sleeve, guiding Lucy to sit next to Natsu himself who immediately placed a hand over hers. Lucy felt his calluses and smiled to herself at his need for contact. She was glad she had him beside her.

The old, short man that Lucy guessed was "Gramps" studied her silently before speaking in a low voice, "Princess, it's a pleasure to finally meet you. I'm a bit troubled that it was under these circumstances..." he glanced at the pinkette next to her, "Although I feel like I've known you for years from how much that brat spoke on and on about his 'friend'. Shoulda seen the starstruck look in his eyes when he realized he could see you again..."

Natsu cleared his throat quietly, prompting Gramps to move on.

"Yeah, yeah," the old man continued, "What we gathered to talk about is our next move," he looked into Lucy's eyes as he spoke, "I wanted you here princess. You're the next in line after all."

Lucy sucked in a breath before nodding slowly, studying the flames in front of her.

"So..." Makarov let a few breaths pass before he continued, "What would you like us to do?"

Lucy's head snapped up. Why was he asking her? Wasn't he the head of this family? She didn't even know battle strategy. Well- she'd been taught that much, but she'd never been in an actual battle.

The small man watched her closely, seeing the panic and uncertainty in her eyes, "Kid, don't worry about all the details, we'll handle that," he leaned forward, placing his elbows on his knees, "We just need to know if the next in line even wants the throne back at all."

Lucy squeezed her eyes shut, feeling the weight of so many eyes on her. She tried to think logically, but the only thing she could see beneath her eyelids was the faces of the people who she'd left in the castle. She didn't regret leaving, but she wished she'd taken more with her. If she'd known... but she hadn't known.

Levy had told her a bit about the gang that had taken over the castle and Lucy didn't like the sound of those barbarians having power over the kingdom like that. They had been ruling from the shadows, but now their grip was much firmer, and they would be impossible to stop unless they acted soon.

She thought about Capricorn, the friendly cook, and even her old maids. What had happened to them? Were they being held hostage?

The princess also couldn't help but think that the king might still be alive. Nothing was certain in her mind and a small part of her hoped he'd just be holed up in the dungeon, waiting for rescue.

Then she thought about her people. They needed a ruler who was fair and caring. Her father hadn't been doing a good job of that lately, but Lucy was sure anyone was better than the gang who had control of the throne now.

She finally opened her eyes, releasing a breath she hadn't realized she'd been holding.

Lucy looked into the flames. She had a duty to her people. If anyone was supposed to do something about this madness, it was her.

The princess knew what her decision would be even if she hated the sound of it.

"I never wanted to rule at all. My father wasn't the best example of what a king should be, and I knew he wanted control of the throne even with me sitting on it. I had no desire to follow in his footsteps and rule with an iron fist, trapped in the castle with my obligations," Lucy sighed, running her free hand over her face, "But... my mother made sure of one thing. I know my duty and I know that I care for the people of this kingdom," she looked directly into Makarov's eyes, and he saw how the reflected flames seemed to burn in her eyes, "I may never have wanted the throne," she squeezed Natsu's hand, steeling her nerves, "But it's still my kingdom."