Chapter 13

Natsu pov:

The world seemed to be muted for a while. Everyone was holding their breaths. Nobody knew quite what had just happened.

Natsu's ears were ringing and he ached all over. Nonetheless, he shakily stood to face Erza again and fulfill his promise.

But she had already disappeared from the field.

He faintly heard Lucy say, "What?" Then the crowd began to roar. Some were booing and some were cheering their hearts out. Natsu looked up to see that Lucy was already gone with her father. The king was probably cautious of some kind of riot.

In the confusion, some soldiers managed to get everyone out except the final competitors who were given a few hours to pack up. Everything was closed down quickly and efficiently for maximum safety.

Natsu watched blankly as people were rushed down the dirt road and out of the castle grounds. He had trouble processing his surroundings. Everything was dulled by pain and mental overload.

Natsu felt a tap on his shoulder and he slowly turned to see Gray, shirtless and clean, "Yo. Flamebrain, you did... good holding your ground against the beast," Gray looked away akwardly, not used to giving compliments but knowing that Natsu needed it. He continued, "I don't know what she was thinking in surrendering, but I do think you deserve it. Go to the clinic and get some rest."

Natsu nodded dumbly and shuffled his feet in the direction of the clinic set up specifically for the General Games. He felt sweat dip down his spine and had a tongue that felt like sandpaper.

The sky had a few clouds, and as one covered the sun for a moment, Natsu was stopped by none other than the announcer himself. The small man spoke quietly for the first time, "Natsu, right? You will no longer use this clinic. You are now to use the hospital inside the castle. You are now a general after all."

Natsu opened his mouth to object, knowing he probably couldn't see his friends from inside the castle. But the look of insistance in the announcer's eyes made Natsu close his mouth and follow the man into the castle. For the first time, instead of Lucy going to him, Natsu was going to Lucy.

Lucy pov:

Lucy watched the fight slowly go into Natsu's favor then back into Erza's favor. She grit her teeth, uncertain if Natsu could really pull it off. She bit her lip as Erza's hits got harder and faster.

Just as Lucy thought she couldn't take anymore of Natsu getting hurt, she faintly heard erza firmly say, "I forfeit."

And just like that, guards were swarming the platform. Lucy spoke a quiet, "What?" as she was being pulled from her throne and quickly back into the castle.

As soon as she was inside though, the guards left her and her father to go rush the crowds out of the castle. Lucy's father sighed in irritation, clearly not liking that Natsu had won. But he didn't say a word as he rushed to his study like he had papers that couldn't wait to be filled out. Which he probably did, considering he was king.

Lucy also sighed and looked out the castle window. She looked for Natsu and found him standing by the medical tent, talking to the announcer. The short man then proceeded to lead Natsu towards the castle.

Lucy scrunched her eyebrows in confusion. Natsu needed medical attention. Why were they walking away from the clinic? Maybe Natsu had some paperwork to fill out or questions to be asked, but couldn't it wait?

Then it dawned on Lucy. Natsu was going to live here now. He would use the hospital inside the castle from now on.

Lucy grinned. Everything seemed like a dream to her. She could finally have a friend her age at the castle. Though, she didn't know how busy Natsu would be.

Without thinking, Lucy had already begun walking towards the infirmary while lost in thought.