Chapter 24

Most of the next week was uneventful for Lucy. She met a few of the new workers and found them all to be nice but a bit strange. The princess took some visits to the library in what little free time she had. She told herself it was for the books, but she wouldn't leave without seeing Levy.

Lucy only saw Natsu a few times during or before breakfast and he never showed himself any later. Though she would never admit it, his absence worried her. She subconsciously looked for him everywhere she was, but Lucy had become super busy with a load of new lessons Capricorn had piled on her, so she didn't have time to go out and look for the pinkette.

The blonde princess was reading a passage in some book on logic during her lesson when Capricorn was summoned out if the room by some maid.

Lucy pretended not to listen as she spoke to him outside of the door, "Yes he is aware you are teaching the princess, but his Highness just needs to discuss something. You are more of an adviser than the others who work under the king."

Capricorn sighed and reluctantly agreed and Lucy was stuck in his office listening to their footsteps fade. She wondered what her father was up to and why he was asking Capricorn for advice. He did have an advisor, but it was in name only. The king made all decisions alone, trusting no other mind but his own. Capricorn was a friend of sorts to her father in the past, and he used to go to the tall tutor for advice regularly. Now, as less of a friend and more of a commanding force, the king summoned him for wisdom on some matters.

Lucy would do everything in her power to pry the information from her tutor later, but in the mean time, she wouldn't waste a minute more on these books than she had to, so she continued to quickly read the rest of the passage while questions lingered in the back of her mind.

Not even 10 minutes later, Capricorn returned and Lucy awaited the news expectantly. After a few seconds of his silence, Lucy prodded, "Are you going to tell me what that was about?"

Capricorn sighed, seeming to wonder about the king's request himself, "I'm not so sure... He simply gave some information and asked if I would trust it. He also asked about certain members of the military and what skills I heard they had. Little context about the situation was given, but he seemed to have a gut feeling about something. Unusual, to say the least, but I won't give details." His eyebrow creased as he trailed off in thought.

Lucy fought the urge to groan at the little information she was given, but before she could pry further, Capricorn clapped his hands suddenly, "You may return to your room for the night princess. We can continue this in the morning. Rest well." He waved the princess out of the room and watched her put down the book a bit harder than necessary and leave dejectedly.

Lucy quietly dragged her feet in the direction of her room only stopping to look at the bright orange of the sky as the sun set slowly. She sighed, fighting off curiosity knowing it probably wasn't going to be satisfied. Her father had a lot of secrets and there was only so much Capricorn could do to inform her within the rules the king set up.

...

After waking up and not seeing Natsu at breakfast again, Lucy went about her day as usual. Capricorn gave her no more details and her lessons were as mind-numbing as always. Everything was normal until Lunch.

While she was sipping her soup out of a spoon and zoning out on the clothed table, Lucy's ears picked up faint footsteps approaching fast. The urgency in them made her softly set her spoon down and grip the silky napkin in her lap.

The dining room table burst open and Natsu himself stormed in with a grin on his face and glee in his eye, "Luce, finish eating so you can change clothes."

Lucy stared at him for a moment, "Wh- uh, why..." She wasn't quite sure what to ask him as she watched the general plop into a seat next to her and prop his head on his hand.

His eyes closely watched her as he bit his lip in an attempt to contain his smile, "You're gonna be trainin' with me. Hurry up Luce this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I don't want to miss out on it."

Lucy kept staring at the pinkette, wondering if she was dreaming, or if he had a little more sugar than usual, "Natsu... What kind of training? I'm not even sure if I'm allowed. I also have lessons to do after I finish eating. What gave you the idea this was even possible?"

Natsu looked back at her, eyes wide and innocent, "The king did. He told me you need training so that's what I plan to do." He casually sat back in his chair and watched Lucy slowly attempt to process the news.

"My father... why- no- what..." she shook her head slowly at a loss for words, "I'm just going to finish eating and pretend everything is normal for 5 more minutes."

And she did just that, sipping at her soup, and trying to ignore Natsu's intense gaze. The princess was the definition of calm and composed on the outside, but her mind was racing a mile a minute. What had changed her father's mind to want him to suddenly train her? What kind if training did he want them to do? How often and how long would this last? Why was Natsu the one training her? Surely he was less trustworthy because he was new...

When she finally set her spoon down and slowly stood, Natsu eagerly followed the princess down the hallway to her room. Lucy was still confused, but as a headache began to press against her temples, she decided against attempting to understand for the time being, "So... what should I be wearing?"

The general walking beside her cocked his head to the side, responding with casual ease, "Somethin' light and easy to move in. Ditch the dresses if you can," he glanced at Lucy and added, "Don't worry, I'll go easy on ya for now."

That brought Lucy little comfort, but she couldn't ignore a bubble of excitement welling in her stomach. She had a hard time fighting the urge to smile as she walked alongside her best friend, setting off for the most excitement she'd had in years- besides maybe the General Games themselves.

...

Lucy was changed into some tighter fitting pants she found at the bottom of her closet along with a navy blue nightgown that was short enough to pass as a shirt. It had been years since she'd done anything that required them and was acceptable to her father. The last time she wore them was to sneak out of the castle to see Natsu and she couldn't exactly ask for new pants to do that.

As she passed a maid stationed outside of her door, Lucy told her some new pants and shirts would be needed in the near future.

The weather was mildly cool, reminding Lucy that the colder months were quickly approaching. She felt a slight breeze wipe tension from her brow as they passed the training grounds and went toward some lone shack behind all the other barrocks.

"This is where I am living at the moment. We won't train in front of the soldiers as of now, and they generally don't come in this direction, so this seemed like the perfect spot- it's still outdoors so the earth can cushion ya a bit." He grinned at some unknown joke, but Lucy felt no inclination to laugh as she eyed the dry dirt holding splotches of poky looking grass.

Natsu walked in front of Lucy, "Right here should be fine," he glanced around before looking back at the princess, "I guess some stretches would be in order."