Chapter 10

Natsu's pov:

Natsu awoke on the fifth day of the General Games to birds chirping outside and slight serene breezes flitting around the fabric of his tent. He had made sure to get a lot of sleep. Natsu would face two opponents today and get the fifth and sixth rounds out of the way because there were only 16 competitors left. He groaned as he slowly sat up, his scarf slithering down his bare chest. Gageel and Gray were still sleeping but Laxus and Erza were nowhere to be found. He wasn't sore from the previous battles and almost felt out of shape. He decided he would go for a short run before the first battles begun.

Natsu exited the tent. He could not smell the breakfast that they served to the competitors yet, so he took off behind the tent to do laps around the small field behind the campsite. He wasn't allowed to go far but could wander around the parts in the opposite direction of the castle. The sun was not yet peeking over the castle walls as Natsu ran through bolders and around trees. He had done this run twice before and it felt almost like his own personal track. He raced through obstacles like he'd been running there his whole life. Natsu had unbelievable reflexes and instinct. That's one of the reasons he had made it so far in the competition.

He finished just as the sun showed it's first rays over the stone walls and Natsu was just starting to glisten with a thin coat of sweat. Even before he was close to the camp, his keen nose could pick up the scent of breakfast. His pit of a stomach grumbled at not being fed yet. Natsu immediately served himself a bowl from one of the cauldrons resting above the fire closest to his tent. The intense heat that would burn a normal person's mouth made Natsu hum in delight.

He finished inhaling his breakfast and went to take a quick dip in the river to refresh himself from the run.

After he was done, Natsu put on a clean vest and pants and went to find his friends so they could join the crowd together.

As always, he hid in the shadows, waiting for Lucy to safely arrive. He always had to make sure she was safe.

When Lucy finally arrived and the first two fighters were called, Natsu remained hidden and watched Laxus beat the crap out of some poor man.

The next two fights incluses people Natsu wouldn't care to remember. For the fourth fight, however, Natsu and Gageel were both called to the open field.

Natsu sighed and glanced up at Lucy who held the ever-present blank face she showed when she sat on that throne. He stepped onto the field, mentally apologizing to Gageel who faced him with a grumpy look.

Gageel and Natsu circled each other, purposefully creating lots of dust.

The metlehead spoke first, "This wasn't much fun for me so you gotta go ahead and beat the shit out of some rookies, 'kay Flame Brain?"

Natsu just grinned at the burley man and stepped back as Gageel threw up his hands and walked out, surrendering.

The crowd around them murmured as they noticed the pinkette had another one forfeit his match. Natsu simply glanced up at Lucy. As they made eye contact, he tried to not think about the feeling in his chest.

...

Erza, of course, won her match, so there was a chance that Natsu could face both her and Laxus in different rounds.

Natsu remained in the shadows, watching people around him and glancing at Lucy who had barely made any movement sitting on her throne. Natsu couldn't help but worry about her during the matches. She seemed so cold and closed off, nothing like the Lucy he knew.

Natsu shook the thoughts away and returned his attention to the beginning of the second round that day. There were only eight competitors left and Natsu was ready to get his daily dose of fight.