Chapter 20

Lucy awoke early to her white cat Plue swatting irritably at her face. The feline must've been lonely with Lucy being so busy recently, but the princess had little sympathy. She grumpily looked at the cat and croaked out, "Foul beast. I swear on the stars you'll pay for your crimes."

Lucy pushed the cat away drowsily while mumbling to herself about needing to lock the pesky cat outside for good. She sat up and watched the sun dance along her covers for a moment before sighing and getting out of bed to try and tame her golden locks.

Lucy made it through breakfast with no signs of Natsu. She understood he had responsibilities now, but it made her sad that he couldn't be around all the time. She was already getting spoiled from his company, but she refused to think back on her life without her only friend. Maybe she did deserve a little happiness...

The princess headed off to her lessons, dreading more politics. Capricorn greeted her with no books in sight, however, and sat her down, "Its time for updates, Lucy. I trust you will keep this information secret from your father as you always do. I do not want to lose my job because I actually do it right."

The blonde nodded eagerly. This was one of the only parts she really looked forward to about her lessons. It was rare that news of the outside world could be shared with her, but when it was, she was all ears.

Capricorn gave information on some troublesome happenings in the South. Apparently, people there were struck by a particularly rough famine and were getting more restless than usual to see a revolution. Most were simply trying to survive, but some were becoming increasingly violent within towns.

Lucy's skin crawled. She was glad Capricorn didn't spare details, though. Her father would be furious if he knew she was being taught about the outside world, but Capricorn thought it was necessary, and learned information from family to tell Lucy from time to time. They agreed to never let the information leave the room to keep Capricorn as her tutor and keep Lucy with her sparce amount of remaining freedom.

Lucy sighed, feeling an increasing need to help the people of her kingdom, but her father would never listen to her reasoning, and she would only be reprimanded for it.

The king was not the kind, loving man he used to be, and it set a familiar ache in her heart to think that she had lost both parents on the same day. Just like Natsu. She felt cruel for it, but it was kind of comforting to have a friend who understood what she'd been through.

When Capricorn realized she was incredibly distracted, he sent Lucy on a break from lessons. She went to the gardens to get fresh air and try to settle her thoughts.

While she sat on a cold stone bench surrounded by daffodils, Lucy allowed her mind to wander. She watched a ladybug crawl just beyond her reach on a nearby leaf, lost in thought.

Lucy looked up when she heard quick footsteps to see four soldiers approaching her with urgent looks. She had never seen them before, but the uniforms let her know they belonged within castle grounds.

Lucy stood as they stopped right in front of her. She watched a man with dark hair and a rough beard step forward. He spoke with a voice that sounded like gravel, "Princess, an issue has come up. For your own safety, we need you to follow us."

Lucy eyed the soldiers.

They all shifted around a bit and avoided eye contact, but the one who spoke seemed almost desperate for her cooperation, "Please. Follow me princess. We must get to safety."

The princess glanced around and saw no other people around. This was not normal protocol. Normally a high ranking soldier would collect her in the case of an emergency, and there were key words they'd use that the man in front of her didn't seem to know.

She spoke warily, "What is the problem?" Her gut was telling her something was off about these men, but if there was an actual issue, was her safety worth the hesitation?

The man spoke again, "Princess, it is very important-" but Lucy stopped listening because his hand was reaching out to grab her. She tensed up as he continued to desperately speak to her. She felt the cold bench press against the back of her legs as she tried to take a step back.

Before his gnarly fingers could even touch her, though, the man was knocked back a step. Lucy inhaled in shock and smelled a familiar smell like pine and cinnamon. Her heart fluttered as she noticed the end of a white, scaly scarf in front of her face. His warmth immediately calmed her panic a few notches and Lucy was able to tune back in to the situation.

With a tone lower than she was used to hearing, Natsu spoke, "I would suggest you not touch the princess, soldier."

The man took a step back, recognition flashing across his face, "I-"

Natsu didn't let the man finish, though, "You will do what you are told from your superiors soldier. If you feel like she is in such drastic danger, then I will personally protect her. She is under my care now, and I suggest you go back to your post."

The man physically shuddered with pure fear in his eyes, before backing up hurridly and running away behind his other companions.

Natsu watched them retreat with narrowed eyes until the princess lightly gripped the fabric of his shirt to ask, "What just happened? Is there a problem?"

Natsu turned and grinned at Lucy, "Ah- I think they were tryin' to test my loyalty or somethin'. They probably knew I was nearby. All the soldiers love to test the new generals."

Lucy nodded slowly, mulling ideas around in her head as Natsu spoke again, "Don't worry Luce. I'll protect ya," his grin faltered, "why're ya out here? Shouldn't you be in lessons?"

Lucy stood, "Right. I took a short break, but should probably be getting back to finish for the day."

Natsu patted her head, softly tisking, and Lucy grumpily puffed her cheeks out a bit at his teasing, "Well I'll walk ya back. Wouldn't want ya gettin' distracted on the way."

Lucy huffed and began to walk briskly towards the castle, "I think I'll be able to handle myself, thank you general."

Natsu grinned as she walked away, "Well then, I'm trusting in you princess."

His chuckles died when she turned the corner, though, and a deadly look came across the pinkette's face as he turned toward where the soldiers had fled.

He was lucky that he had seen Lucy surrounded seconds before the man could grab her.

His fist clenched and his jaw ticked slightly.

Or maybe that man was lucky he hadn't yet touched the princess.

Natsu stormed in the direction they left. He was very good with faces, and he was fairly sure he hadn't seen any of them around. No soldier would even think of trying to trick the princess.

The new general had not missed the pure fear in the man's eyes when he had appeared in front of him. Only certain people showed fear like that to Natsu. Specifically people who knew Natsu's reputation outside of the castle walls.

No soldier had seen Natsu in a full out fight. Even his competition with Erza wasn't an all out match and there was way too much dust for people to really even see the fight.

No soldier had shown any fear towards Natsu yet, and it was off-putting that those men did. Even the three soldiers behind the bearded man took steps back when they recognized the pinkette.

Only people who knew of the Fire Dragon's capabilities feared him the way those men had- people who had heard criminals talk of his ferocity- people who didn't belong inside castle walls.

Natsu knew not to speak of his suspicions until he was almost certain of his discoveries. He needed proof of some kind of infiltration- and he knew Fairy Tail would help him find it.