Chapter 30

Lucy woke up the next morning and lazily stretched out her stiff muscles. She let out a groan of appreciation and sighed as she rolled over, placing her feet on the cool floor.

The princess did her usual routine and left her room for breakfast. She went by the kitchen to see the cooks and said hello to all the kind women. But it seemed quieter for some reason.

Something tugged at the back of her mind, but Lucy shrugged it off and took her own plate to the dining room.

The rest of her day was uneventful, the lessons almost more boring than usual. But when it came time to train with Natsu, he never arrived. Lucy tried to dismiss it as him just being late, but she got tired of waiting as the last rays of sun disappeared behind the horizon.

The princess decided to head to the library instead. She was a bit peeved that none of the guards had seen Natsu all day, but she wanted to apologize to Levy for being so cold.

Knowing that she had nothing to do with the king and that she was only being silent on Natsu's orders cleared any doubts Lucy was holding about their friendship. She felt bad she had assumed the worst and just wanted to make sure Levy understood why she had been so awful.

She made it to the library and saw the back of the small bluenette who surrounded in piles of books- even more than usual.

Lucy smiled, "Levy," but her smile faded as the bluenette turned.

Her friends face was pale and dark. Bruise-like bags rested under her eyes as she quietly said, "Hey Lucy," forcing a small smile.

"A- are you okay? What's wrong?"

Lucy's eyebrows furrowed as Levy's smile dropped and she hid behind her hair which was missing it's usual headband, "Ah- I just didn't sleep last night. Don't worry."

Lucy looked over the girl's shoulder, "You have quite the collection today. Any topic in particular you're looking into?"

Levy closed the book she had opened and replied, "I'm just reading whatever catches my eye. I want to get to know everything in this library."

Lucy nodded, she knew something was still up, but didn't want to push it because she still hadn't apologized for the last time she saw her friend. She took a deep breath, "I'm sorry," Lucy watched the bluenette look up at her in confusion, "I shouldn't have been so cold to you. I'm just... not used to having friends and... now I know you deserve some trust."

Levy looked up at Lucy in slight confusion so the princess explained, "Natsu told me everything. About me being targeted and about sending you and some others as extra security for the castle. I now understand why you couldn't tell me and I'm just sorry I assumed the worst."

Levy looked at her for a moment, and despite looking like she'd fall asleep at any moment, the librarian gave a wide smile, "It's okay Lucy, I understand. I'm just glad you know now. I was scared you hated me."

Lucy quickly shook her head, "I'd never hate you for following someone's orders- even if they were my father's. You've been so kind to me."

Levy studied Lucy with a kind smile, "You're a super girl and I'm glad I got to meet you. I love our conversations and I think we really clicked."

Lucy grinned back, happy her small friend felt the same. Her smile dropped slightly as Levy glanced away, "What's bothering you?"

Levy took a sharp breath and thought carefully for a moment, "Well... Since you know everything now, I guess I don't have to keep secrets anymore," she sighed and rubbed the cover of a book placed in front of her, "Natsu and everyone had to leave last night. There was an... attack on our home."

Lucy inhaled but Levy continued, "Someone had to stay behind and I don't offer as much as the others in the fighting department so..."

The princess studied her friend's face. She clearly hadn't slept a wink and was probably even guilty for staying behind while her friend's we're possibly in a world of trouble.

As Lucy tried to process the new information, she felt her heart squeeze. Worry was already starting to consume her, as she tried not to think of the worst. She wanted to help so badly, but even though she was princess, she had no power to help.

Lucy took a seat next to Levy and they sat in silence, the air thick. 

"Do you think it's already over? You guys are super strong from what I saw at the festival. It should be fine right?" Lucy knew she was supposed to be comforting Levy, but she couldn't stop picturing Natsu injured.

The silent librarian simply shrugged.

Lucy studied her fingers, "Is there anything we can do?"

Levy shrugged again, and Lucy's eyes began to water at the sight of her friend looking to heartbroken. She had to do something. She couldn't be a sitting duck and she knew Levy didn't want to just sit back and wait either.

Something took over Lucy and she stood suddenly, determined as an idea popped into her head, "I'm going to find Gildarts. He'll be able to help."

She stormed out of the library in search of the general, ignoring Levy's tired voice calling after her.

It was dark outside, but the guards still let her out, used to her training with Natsu. Lucy walked quickly to the soldier's camp, not exactly knowing where the older general stayed.

She quickly found him sitting outside of his hut, smoking a cigar. She felt slight relief already as she called out, "Gildarts! I need your help. Natsu had to return to his home because it was attacked. He needs help."

Lucy looked desperately at the man, but he calmly let out a puff of smoke, studying her, "And what am I supposed to do?"

Lucy nearly stomped her foot with urgency, "That's why I came here. I don't know what to do, but I know he needs help."

"Then what are you coming to me for? Go help him."

Lucy gaped at the man. Did he really think she could just waltz outside and play knight in shining armor? Weren't generals supposed to protect royalty? He was practically asking her to put her life on the line. She was the princess. She couldn't just leave and risk her life.

Or maybe she could. She had been training for the past few months and had gotten rather good with a whip. She had to be able to help at least a little, even if it was tending to wounded. She had taken enough medical lessons to know how to tend to a wound.

The more Lucy thought about it, the less she considered her own well being over helping the others. She just wanted to see Levy smile, and Gageel sing, and Erza scold Grey, and Natsu... she wanted to hug him- hold him tight and keep him safe. She needed him by her side, even if that meant recklessly rushing after him to fight for a bunch of people she had never met.

The princess' eyes widened slowly. Her heart stuttered a bit, beating in her ears. Her mind raced at her realization, but it felt so right- so real. She finally saw the simple thing that had been hanging above her head that she was just too blind to see.

The one thing she'd been searching for for so long. The one thing she needed the most... was Natsu.