Chapter 9

Natsu's pov:

When Natsu got back to his tent that night, he almost felt bad that Gray lost for him. While they were wrestling, Gray told Natsu that he had to win for Lucy's and his own sake.

Natsu was really grateful for his friends, but he felt regret that he told them about this contest. As soon as he mentioned it, they insisted that they would help him train and win the competition. Natsu was hesitant about it at first, but found the loophole in the "foul play" rule. It did not include the opponent simply forfeiting the match, only that fights could not be faked. Natsu only agreed to let them help him win on the condition that, should they make it to the final round, they would really fight with all they had and Natsu would win or lose fair and square. He felt like his friends were forced into this even though they were the ones who forced him to agree.

He sighed as he listened to his friends talking inside the tent. He wasn't sure if Lucy would come to see him, but he didn't know if he even wanted to talk to her in this guilty state.

After about ten minutes of him sitting outside, however, his keen ears picked up Lucy's light footsteps approaching. He could tell she was trying to be quiet, but knew little about stealth.

Natsu pretended not to hear her and when she was right beside him, he turned his head sharply, "BOO!"

Lucy stumbled back a few steps, her hand already over her beating heart. Natsu laughed loudly with his head down, slapping his knee obnoxiously.

He watched Lucy pout through his half closed eyes, and chuckled as she finally spoke, "How did you know I was there? I was being quiet... I was sure I could scare you."

Natsu grinned, "Lucy, Lucy... Few can sneak up on me. And if you want to be one of those few, you'll need a lot of lessons on stealth first."

Just as he spoke though, someone suddenly gripped his shoulder. Natsu squealed as he turned to see Gageel with a raised eyebrow, "Dude."

Lucy's pov:

Lucy was giggling uncontrollably as she watched Natsu's suprised face morph into a dismayed and almost grumpy face. The timing was way too perfect and his face was way too cute.

Lucy got controle over her fits of laughter and peered up at the man with loads of piercings curiously. She didn't sense any ill intent from him and he seemed to know Natsu.

If she wasn't mistaken, this was the man who she thought was almost like a shadow. He was one of the few who stuck out to her. What a fun coincidence.

Natsu gruffly spoke, "Luce, this is Gageel. He's one of the friends I promised to introduce."

Lucy nodded to the big man and extended a hand. Gageel stared at her hand for a minute, then gripped it and shook firmly, "Nice to finally meet ya Bunny girl."

Lucy tilted her head. Maybe he just didn't catch her name. She just dismissed it as Natsu turned and gestured for her to follow him into the tent, "I guess you can meet the rest while you're here..."

Lucy ducked under the flap of his temporary home and looked around to see all the most colorful and noticeable people who competed. She saw the redhead, the lightning scar, and even the one who forfeited to Natsu. She felt extremely lucky that she already recognized all of them. What were the odds?

Natsu gestured around, "Everyone, meet Lucy. Luce this is Laxus, Erza, and Gray."

Lucy looked around and nodded slightly to each. She never thought she'd get to meet them all. Her eyes lingered on Gray as she remembered how he forfeited to Natsu. Did he do it as a friend? She would have to ask Natsu later.

The 3 new people nodded silently to her and Lucy felt small in the presence of such powerful people. Sure, Natsu was powerful too, but he was still just Natsu. These people were foreign and intimidating.

Lucy unconsciously took a step towards Natsu for security. Lightning scarred Laxus seemed to notice, but didn't say a word.

The raven haired Gray mumbled, "Nice to finally meet the girl we couldn't get Natsu to shut up about. Always on about Luce this, Lucy that..."

Natsu groaned and Lucy saw his ears were slightly pink. Lucy found herself getting pink as well. She giggled nervously as the redhead Erza loudly spoke, "While I am against teasing, it is true. It's a pleasure to meet you Lucy."

Lucy smiled at the woman. Even though she was so scary and powerful on the battlefield, this Erza seemed nice enough.

Natsu sat at Lucy's side and she followed suit. They had a pile of bread between them and a few steaks to go around.

Lucy happily ate with them, thoroughly enjoying their laughter and bickering. She'd never experienced something like this. At least not through more than vague memories. She wondered why she felt so at ease, but she laughed along with them as she munched on bread.

Lucy found herself in awe over this new Natsu. She wondered yet again how someone could be exactly the same yet so different. She admired his hardened jaw and deep voice. For some reason, when he laughed, his voice went to a higher pitch and he would almost cackle. She watched his reactions; facinated by the way he moved and talked.

Meanwhile, Natsu was watching Lucy too. Not with his eyes, but rather with his other senses. He could smell her familiar vanilla scent mixed with something new that he loved. It was just so her. He listened to her gentle laugh like bells in the spring. Every accidental touch sent shivers down his spine. Natsu was so incredibly aware of everything Lucy did. He was so glad she seemed content around his family.

...

When they finally seemed to be wrapping up the conversation, Natsu told the rest he would send Lucy off and she once again followed him out of the tent.

Lucy felt warm, despite the cold night air, "Hey Natsu, thanks for that. I really loved your friends. They're really good people."

Natsu smiled down at her, watching the moonlight play with her hair, "Yea Luce, anytime. I think they loved having ya' there."

Natsu opened his mouth to continue, but Lucy spoke first, "Hey- I was wondering... Why did Gray forfeit? I know you're friends, but doesn't he want this too?"

Natsu sighed and brought his hand behind his neck and massaged the muscles, "Yeah. I figured you'd catch on..." Lucy stayed silent, waiting for him to continue, "When I told everyone that I was going to compete and find you again, they insisted they would try to help me in any way they could... So... I allowed four of them to come and act as my allies and make getting to the top easier. If I face any of them before the final round, they forfeit. The last round, though, is fair game. I win or I lose. I at least made them promise that much to me."

Lucy looked away. Not sure how she felt about their tactics, "But... what if you get caught?" She could question morals later, right now she worried more about if he was in danger or not.

The pinkette simply shook his head, "Even if we do, there are no rules saying friends can't just forfeit. As long as the fights aren't staged, it's fair game."

Lucy nodded, relieved. She looked back to Natsu, noticing how the moon acted like a halo around him- as if assuring her that he was innocent. Lucy giggled and hugged Natsu, "See you, Natsu."

She felt Natsu smile into her hair as he replied, "'Till next time, Luce."