Chapter 34

Lucy sat with Natsu for an hour, trying to feed him while talking to distract him from the damage done to his body and his home. He had trouble speaking, so she didn't ask him anything that he couldn't nod or shake his head in response to. People would come by and just watch the two interact, not wanting to interrupt. Eventually, Natsu became too exhausted to sit up, so the princess let him rest his head on her lap again.

Lucy gently massaged his scalp as she talked about everything from childhood memories to what she was learning with Capricorn. Natsu closed his eyes but she knew he was still listening. He kept opening his eyes when she got really animated in telling a story just to watch how her face lit up. He smiled softly when she told him how she tripped in the garden and ruined her ballgown when she was 6 because she was tired of the small talk. When she laughed, he would just observe her face. She had changed a lot since he got reconnected with her. She was more daring to do what she wanted instead of what her father wished. She was more willing to laugh rather than just offer a sad smile.

When Natsu's breathing became deeper, the two were alone and the sun was just starting to rise. Lucy trailed off on the story she was telling, and continued to just run her fingers through his hair contentedly as she watched his peaceful face. She was so glad he was ok. She honestly didn't think she'd be able to live without the pinkette at this point. It was strange to her how quickly he regained her trust and how quickly she learned to base her happiness off of his presence. But she now knew that he was what she'd been searching for since her mother died. He was the one who'd helped her to finally heal from the old wounds circumstance had caused.

"You need to rest," a voice spoke, breaking her train of thought.

Lucy looked up to see the redhead warrior standing over her. She had a bandage on her stomach and right shoulder but Lucy knew she'd be fine in a few days.

"There's still so much to do," Lucy responded quietly, thinking about repairing the building, preparing food, and changing bandages.

Erza spoke in a firm tone, "You've done plenty. Rest for a few hours," she paused when Lucy stayed silent, "You can't take care of Natsu if you pass out on us."

That seemed to convince Lucy as she sighed and unrolled a blanket next to Natsu's makeshift bed. She carefully moved his head from her lap and laid down. It was unlike anything she'd ever slept on, but she barely had time to think about how uncomfortable it was, because she was already falling into a dreamless sleep, exhaustion finally catching up to her.

When she awoke, she squinted as the sun shone brightly through the trees. It was probably almost noon. Then Lucy remembered where she was and quickly turned her head to see Natsu's bed was empty. She tried not to panic as she swiftly stood, ignoring the slight stumble in her step when the blood rushed from her head.

The first face she recognized was Laxus who had barely grunted at her in greeting before she hurriedly asked, "Where's Natsu?"

Laxus rolled his eyes slightly and pointed to a fire pit that a group of people sat around.

Everyone seemed to be serious as they talked, Lucy almost didn't want to interrupt until she saw the pinkette, still covered in soot. He had a grim expression as he studied the short old man who stood on a log to talk to the group.

Lucy slowly walked forward, feeling a bit like an outsider but figuring she had already forced herself into their business. When she got within earshot, however, a few eyes wandered to her, causing the old man to spot the princess. He stopped talking, looking a bit nervous.

Lucy ignored that, instead focusing on Natsu who, to be fair, was her patient. She had every right to pull him aside to check on him. Lord knows he'd overdo it if she let him. The old man grumbled at Natsu, something about brats and girlfriends, before gesturing to Lucy.

Natsu turned curiously, wondering what everyone was looking at, and Lucy's heart melted in relief at the soft smile he immediately gave her. But her breath caught when she noticed the pain in his gaze. She rushed to him, gently feeling him, making sure no cuts had been reopened.

"Are you ok?" she whispered, still feeling unsure around the crowd. When she saw that no wounds were reopened, she locked eyes with him again, gently rubbing his cheek with her cold fingers, "What's wrong?"

Natsu looked away, gently grabbing her hand with his callused fingers. Lucy was relieved to feel his warmth, but her eyebrows were still furrowed as she saw his sadness.

She was about to press for answers when Natsu stood, gently pulling her hand to follow him as he moved into the forest.

Lucy stayed silent as he guided her. She felt the cool air juxtapose with the warmth of Natsu's hand like the patches of sun they walked through. She focused on his broad back, watching as it moved, grateful that his lungs had breath. She was so lost in thought while studying Natsu, that she didn't notice when they stopped walking.

He turned to face her, and Lucy's eyes widened as she took in her surroundings. They were standing on a grassy cliff that overlooked a beautifully clear pool about 30 feet down. Lucy stepped closer to the edge, still grasping Natsu's hand as she looked down into the water.

"Wow," she breathed out as she observed the lush greenery and sunrays streaming into the water below.

Natsu hummed quietly, attracting her attention again, "Found this place when I was young," Lucy stayed silent as she watched his gaze grow distant, deep in memory, "I had a tough day trainin' with gramps. I shoulda just been grateful for a place to stay, but I was angry that I kept failing to do some new move he was teachin' me," he muttered something about being a brat, "I can't even remember what the move was now, but I wandered into the woods and then I was here. Apparently it was nothing new to the rest of the gang, but it was new to me. I loved coming here all the time, and eventually other people forgot about it's existence," he laughed to himself, "That, or they started to be put off by the grumpy teen stinking the place up," Lucy smiled at him, loving the way he spoke about his memories, "Either way, This became the place I retreated to when I messed up or just felt sad," He studied Lucy as she looked up at him, "Now, I know I have a family who can catch me when I fall and hold me when I cry," Lucy felt a twinge of jealousy until she heard his next words, "Luce, I want- no, I need you to know that you have that too. I'm here for you and so is everyone else in Fairy Tail. We'll always listen to your problems and help you find solutions because we're family now."

Lucy blinked slowly. How could a group of people she'd just met be her family?

But Natsu continued on, "I'll always be here for you Luce.- even if I can't promise that I'll be here physically," he gripped Lucy's hand in his.

Lucy took a shuddering breath, the fear that came from almost losing Natsu was still fresh in her mind. She didn't want to think about a world without him, and had no idea what he could possibly be trying to tell her. So she ignored those fearful thoughts, and nodded for him to continue, concerned about where this was going.

Natsu cleared his throat softly, no doubt still feeling the effects of smoke in his throat. Lucy had to fight the urge to play nurse for him as he continued, "I promised to be more honest with you, so I will be," he released a shuddering breath, "Luce, last night there was an attack on the castle. We think it was a group called-- nevermind," he cut himself off, tightening his grip on the princess' hand, "Lucy, we heard rumors from witnesses saying that the king- no, that your father is dead."

...

A/N:
Ayoo, I'm back! Funny story, I literally have no excuses. BUT I decided not to publish any more chapters until I completely finished the story, so rest assured, even if it's a bit of a rushed ending, I'm just roughly editing everything.

Why, you may ask? It really bothered me that I had this random incomplete story floating around Wattpad. Hopefully my writing style isn't too different. I'm pretty out of practice. Please let me know if there are any inconsistancies, mistakes, etc.

So hello to the old and new.

(After the 4 year wait,) The show must go on!