Chapter 7

It was the next day, and Lucy hadn't seen Natsu in the crowd of people yet. She sat in the same wooden throne next to her father.

She was unmoving, watching the 30th match of the day. It was a bit less interesting because all the ones that stuck out to Lucy had yet to compete. The pairs were chosen from the second day onward at random. Lucy had no way to tell when Natsu would show his face again.

She was currently watching a big man with a ton of piercings and poofy black hair battle a man with many tattoos and giant calf muscles. The man with piercings passed like a shadow behind the man with tattoos. Then, the man with tattoos fell to the ground and the battle was over.

Lucy scrunched her eyebrows together, trying to figure out what had just happened. As the guy with piercings walked off in victory, she heard number 68 and 14 get called. 68 was Natsu.

Lucy leaned forward and was barely able to pick Natsu out from the crowd. She briefly saw his pink hair make its way to the ring, only to be stopped by the man with piercings. Lucy watched closely as it looked like Natsu and the other man were talking briefly.

Probably recognising Natsu from yesterday, Lucy's father looked at her in warning again as if saying, 'Don't you dare try anything again' and Lucy fought to not roll her eyes, keeping her face blank.

The man with piercings separated from Natsu and Natsu stepped into the dirt ring. Number 14 had a similer body shape to Natsu's, but his hair was shorter and brown and he wore a metal breastplate.

Lucy watched as Natsu and the man began to circle each other. Both had wooden swords and looked to have some experience. Natsu wore a simple vest that was open to the world and baggy pants. There was no cloak now and Lucy slightly blushed at the sight of his toned chest.

Who wouldn't, though?

She then noticed for the first time that he had a symbol of some sort tattooed on his right bicep. She tried to study it more, but he turned away from her as they continued to circle each other.

14 made the first move, testing Natsu by suddenly lunging toward him. Natsu sidestepped and was about to ram his hilt into 14's back (exactly like he did the previous day), but 14 also sidestepped.

They circled each other again. This time, Natsu lunged with a trick swipe to the left, while kicking 14's right side. Then, not giving him time to recover, Natsu swiped at the man's stomach. Lucy cringed. It wouldn't do any permanate damage, as it was just wooden, but the sword would still leave a mark considering the force Natsu used behind the blow.

14 stepped back and kicked low, trying to take Natsu's legs out, but he simply jumped over them. Natsu wasn't even breathing hard while 14 struggled to move swiftly. 14 took a deep breath and swung his sword with two hands. Unable to sidestep at the close proximity, Natsu blocked the sword with his arm, forcing him a single step back. Lucy cringed. She would have to check that arm out later.

14 swirled his sword and went for Natsu's stomach again. Natsu blocked the blow with his own sword and flung 14's sword from his hand, causing it to land about ten feet away. Natsu pointed his sword at the now defenseless 14's throat. 14 simply raised his hands in surrender.

After being proclaimed victor, Natsu patted the other man on the back and walked off without another word.

...

It was the end of the second day, and Lucy was excited to see Natsu again.

She left the same way she had the night before and crept down to the unguarded window.

Seeing no people, Lucy safely and easily made it to Natsu's tent. She didn't see him at first, but she walked around to the back to find him leaning on a tree, chewing on a piece of grass.

She waved slightly to him when he looked up at her. Natsu grinned as Lucy walked over.

He spoke, "'Bout time. I was beginning to worry you wouldn't be able to make it tonight."

Lucy smiled and hugged Natsu. He returned the embrace as Lucy said, "I missed you too Natsu."

He chuckled, "Oh! I have someone for you to meet again."

Lucy tilted her head, "Again? Who is it?"

Natsu simply reached into his pocket and pulled out an electric blue lizard.

Lucy's eyes widened as she exclaimed, "It's Happy!" she stroked the lizard's back as she happily asked, "How is he still alive after all these years?"

Natsu simply shrugged, "I've had him this whole time, it's a wonder he isn't dead. I swear- he's magical or something."

Lucy giggled, "Right," she paused for a moment, then rested her hand on top of Natsu's arm, "It's good to be back like this."

Natsu looked down at her hand with a faint smile, "Yeah, it really is," there was a peaceful silence for a bit until he spoke again, "How's life at the castle treating ya?"

Lucy rolled her eyes, "Oh the usual... Never left alone and always bending under my father's will... How about you? How's village life?"

Natsu rolled his neck and let Happy rest on a log next to them, "Oh same ole, same ole... Been training with some old man to win this competition for a while... He taught me how to fight after- ah... yeah."

Lucy narrowed her eyes slightly, again deciding not to press his wave of sadness, so she changed the subject, "Are you here with any friends or did you want to train and compete alone?"

Natsu grinned, "Oh I'm here with some friends but you'll have to meet them later, they're probably asleep right now."

Lucy nodded, "Well you've done great so far. I wish I was allowed to learn to fight," She laughed bitterly at the thought of her controlling father. Natsu sat and silently watched her, edging her to continue, "My father's gotten really bad, Natsu. I know you've never met him, but I'm sure you've heard the stories..." she took a deep breath to continue, "When my mom died, he was driven crazy. Even though it was nobody's fault, he has become paranoid. That's why I couldn't see you again. I'm sorry for that by the way... Maybe if I was stronger, you wouldn't be here just to see me," Lucy shook her head sadly and spoke quietly, "I hate that I'm so weak."

Natsu simply sat still, listening. Then he put his hand on Lucy's shoulder again and pulled her into a hug, "I'm sorry too Lucy. I'm sorry I couldn't be there for you when you needed me the most. I'm sorry your father is like this. I'm sorry I still can't be there for you all the time..." He pulled away suddenly, "But you are in no way weak. I don't see a weak bone in your body. Just because you can't fight, doesn't mean you are defenceless. You have done amazing staying true to yourself and not changing your attitude and personality under your father. You have so many burdens. Even though some people can't see them, that only makes you stronger. You are amazing Luce. Just hang in there a bit longer. I promise I'll get you out someday."

Lucy nodded, tears welling. She wanted to believe him, she really did, but she still felt he was doing so much for her and that she hadn't done anything but give up. She wanted to help but didn't know how she could. She still felt weak.

Lucy looked away and Natsu sighed, "Lucy, I'm right here, talk to me."

Lucy swallowed, her throat was sore, "I don't know what there is to say," she swallowed again, "but... I want to help you. How can I help you Natsu?"

Natsu glanced away briefly, but Lucy was watching him intently, "All I need is your support Lucy."

Lucy looked away. He wasn't going to say anything to her at the moment. She would get it out of him someday. She had no idea what he was going through, but Lucy was determined to find a way to help Natsu.