Chapter 16

Natsu awoke to the light of morning. His eyes slowly drifted open as his memories oozed into his head. He was a General and he was inside the hospital infirmary. His friends were probably long gone from the castle grounds by now.

His neck moved sharply to the side as he remembered the hazy memories of Lucy. She had come to see him right? There was no trace of her except for the slight indent in the sheets where she had peacefully slept. She had even moved the chair back to it's original spot.

Natsu sighed as he remembered that she was sad yesterday for some reason. Lucy was lonely enough to be thrilled that he would be joining her castle days, but Natsu still knew something was bothering her.

He was aware that it was probably a good thing she had left early so that nobody would walk in on the princess and the new general sleeping together.

Natsu's face was covered in more heat than usual as he thought of just how misinterpreted that phrasing could be.

The pinkette shook his head and felt around his body. Most of his serious wounds seemed to be healing fine and he could barely feel the smaller injuries at all.

Natsu decided he didn't want to sit around anymore. Even though the bed was comfortable under his tired muscles, his mind was tired of wandering. He needed something to do.

Natsu got up and groaned. His muscles ached as if longing for less movement, but he got up anyways and walked to the door of the hospital. Natsu opened it, peeking out. The hallway was empty and quiet.

Making up his mind, the pinkette stepped out and took a right down the long hallway. He admired the tall windows and polished floors. Even though he's been friends with Lucy for years, he'd never seen the castle in person. Royal life was so strange to him, it almost felt like he was dreaming.

After following the long hallway for a bit, Natsu smelled something delightful, and his stomach rumbled, reminding him that he hadn't eaten since breakfast the day before.

So he followed the smell with his keen nose until he came to a giant kitchen. Natsu ignored the bustling people and walked right up to a giant plate of eggs, bacon, and biscuits. Without a second thought, the hungry general picked up the plate to eat.

Right before he could quite literally pour the food into his mouth, one of the cooks tapped his arm, loudly saying, "There you are, Princess Lucy just asked for her food in the dining room," the chubby brunette woman scanned Natsu's confused face, "You must be new. Just go down the hallway and it's on your right." Natsu nodded his head, still confused but caught up in his new role. He still wanted to eat though, so he grabbed another plate descreetly and piled extra food onto it. He got a few glances, but none of the ladies questioned him. A few batted their eyelashes and giggled at him. Natsu boyishly grinned in return, glad that none of them were really paying attention to what he was doing.

The pinkette strode down the hallway, excited to eat breakfast with his Luce. It was like a dream come true. He grinned as he found an archway in the wall that lead to a long table. He peeked in and saw Lucy sitting on the end, playing with her fork.

She looked up when she heard Natsu enter and held a suprised look on her face, "Oh! Natsu, what are you doing here?" She furrowed her eyebrows as she scanned his bandaged arms.

"Oh don't worry Luce, I was sent here by the kitchen ladies, and I feel great," Natsu sat down next to her, placing the plate in front of the princess, "Though, I do feel quite hungry, so if you don't mind, I'll be joining you for your meal."

Lucy beamed, "Please do."

Natsu was almost stunned to see her smile so genuinely as if she'd forgotten all of her troubles for a second. He cleared his throat and grabbed a fork from the table, grinning at Lucy and taking the first bite.