Chapter 29

Natsu's pov:

The next morning, Natsu did his training with Gildarts as usual, but was focused on Lucy the whole time. He worried she felt alone and betrayed. Not to mention, he couldn't stop worrying about how she'd react when he told her everything he'd been keeping a secret.

As he ran laps around the outskirts of the soldier's area for losing focus while sparring Gildarts, Natsu wondered how he'd break everything to Lucy. Should he just start with a 'Hey Luce, I've been lyin to ya' or 'I have something very important I've been hiding from you'...?

He knew now that just being honest was the smartest thing for Lucy, but he still wasn't sure how to make it seem like he wasn't trying to keep her in the dark when he clearly was doing just that.

Maybe he should let her be angry and tell her everything flat out. He was just worried that he'd break her. She'd already been through so much and while he knew he had to tell her before she found out on her own, Natsu felt so uneasy about the whole thing.

As he passed Gildarts for around the 12th time, the older man stopped him, "Key kid, that's enough," he studied Natsu as the pinkette gulped down some water, "What's on your mind? You're not acting normal."

Natsu sighed, "There's just a... mistake I made that I have to correct today. I'm trying to figure out how to go about it."

Gildarts hummed thoughtfully, "Need advice? Can't say I'm the best, but it's worth a shot."

Gildarts already knew about his friends in the castle and about the threat on Lucy's safety so he might as well, "I've decided to tell Lucy everything."

"What that you like her big-"

Gildarts was interrupted sharply by a slightly pink Natsu, "-ABOUT my friends being in the castle to protect her and about her possibly being in danger."

Gildarts whistled through his teeth, "Are you sure? It seems a bit late and that's a big weight to give a princess."

"I know," Natsu sighed, "but it's better than her finding out on her own."

Gildarts nodded, "It's probably for the best. Just... be careful. She's been through more than she shows."

Natsu tried to ignore the fact that Gildarts was only making his nerves worse as he asked, "What do you mean?"

The older general sighed again, "I've, been around a while. I've seen things happen and I've seen how well she tries to hide them. I've also seen when she can't hide them anymore." He shook his head, standing straight again, "But the only advice I can give you is to listen to her and give her time if she needs it. Just... Don't let her go if she needs company."

Natsu nodded slowly, digesting his teacher's words, "I'll try my best."

Gildarts shrugged, "That's enough training for today, I need a nap." He started to walk off, but paused, "Good luck kid."

Natsu smiled and turned away, "Thanks old man."

...

Lucy pov:

Lucy spent the whole day trying her best to not think about Levy. She had connected so naturally with the small librarian and it tore her up to think it was all set up.

She sighed and set the book she was supposed to be reading down, favoring looking out the window over looking at a bland page. Even though Levy had lied to her, Lucy couldn't really find it in herself to be mad. She was just disappointed. And that almost hurt more.

The princess gently rested her head in her palm and watched the sky slightly begin to change colors. Maybe her lesson with Natsu would distract her. She didn't want to burden him with her problems, but she almost felt like he could make everything better.