Chapter 31

Lucy managed to convince both Gildarts and Levy to abandon post to go help Natsu's new family. Lucy stopped by her room so she could get changed while Levy did the same and Gildarts gathered a few men to join them. Lucy was surprised the rough man was so willing to defy her father just because she asked, but he promised it wasn't just for her or Natsu's sake. He apparently had someone else he knew there- and judging by the worried look on his face, it was someone awfully special to him.

Lucy quickly changed into a fitted all black outfit and, as she threw open the door to her room, she was met face to face with Virgo.

She took a step back in suprise as the stone faced woman asked, "Where are you going princess?"

Lucy hesitated. She didn't like lying, but was sure the woman wouldn't let her go if she told the truth, "Ah, I'm going to help Natsu with something." She cringed at how suspicious she sounded, but she hadn't quite mastered the acting part of her training yet.

Virgo tilted her head, "Natsu disappeared last night, as did most of his friends. I noticed some noise in the hallway last night and was able to see a few of them running out."

Lucy paused, her gut telling her to once again trust a stranger, "Virgo, how do you know Natsu?"

Virgo tilted her head at the princess, "He was the one who asked me to return to being a maid for your protection."

Lucy huffed at another thing Natsu forgot to mention to her. But she nodded firmly, making another rash decision, "He is in trouble. Will you come with me to help him? I could use as many people as I can get."

The woman paused, thinking for a few seconds, "I am willing to help," but she firmly moved to block the doorway, "but you must stay here, princess. Where it is safe. It's my job to keep you away from any harm and it would be rash to just jump into trouble when there is little you can actually do."

Lucy shook her head defiantly, a fire lighting her eye and authority in her tone, "I am not weak anymore. I am going to help. I don't care what you think, I am leaving this place with or without your permission," her voice quieted a bit, "I've never been so sure of anything in my life."

Virgo watched silently as the quiet girl bloomed with determination. She had never even heard of the princess having a side like this. She always seemed weak and a bit lonely. Like a frail flower that had passed it's prime and was wilting under a demanding father and an even cruler world. Yet somehow, just from meeting some boy, she had completely transformed. She looked like-

The maid's eyes watered slightly as she gazed upon someone who gave off the same light as her Queen.

Virgo bowed deeply with a new respect, "Yes my lady, I understand now."

...

The small group of Lucy, Levy, Gildarts, and a handful of trustworthy soldiers followed Virgo to a hidden, unused exit while there was a gap in the border patrol. Apparently, Virgo knew many secrets about the castle. She had lived there all her life, having come from a family of elite fighters who had always served the royal family.

The conspicuous group quietly travelled one by one through a hole in the wall concealed by vines.

Lucy was second to last, and as the soldier ahead of her entered the wall, Virgo spoke, "Princess, I have something that might be of use to you," She held out a leather coil whip to Lucy, "Your mother used it when she sparred. She was a natural with it. I figured you might find use from it, so I grabbed it from my room."

Lucy stared down at the weapon and slowly reached out to take it, fingers brushing over the smooth material before gripping the handle. She pulled it from her maid's grasp and watched it uncoil and hit the ground with a soft thud. The weight of it was nice in her hand and she knew there would be power behind it if she gave a simple flick of her wrist. She took a deep breath and rolled it back up, finding a handy latch on her pants as if Virgo had made them for this exact reason.

"Thank you Virgo," she blinked back a mist in her eyes, "I'm glad I met you. My mother chose wisely to want you by her side."

The woman nodded slightly, affection evident in her eyes. She gestured to the wall, silently telling Lucy it was time to go through.

The princess turned and gingerly parted the vines, hoping no insects would latch onto her. The gravel of the crumbling wall made it's way into her shirt as she crawled slowly through the small gap, but she payed no mind to the feeling and focused on not getting claustrophobic.

After a few uncomfortable seconds, Lucy felt her head emerge into cool air and she concentrated on getting the rest of her body out before she fully stood.

And her breath was taken away. All around her were flowers that sparked in the moonight and fireflies dancing through the cool night air. She bent down again just to feel the grass beneath her fingers and her eyes welled up as she realized this was her first time outside of those prison's walls in years.

And it was all thanks to Natsu.

She felt a hand on her shoulder, bringing her attention back to her surroundings.

Gildarts looked down at her, "Princess are you ready?"

She looked around at her small group and nodded. She trusted every one of them- even the ones she hadn't yet gotten to know. If she wanted to make it out of this alive, she would need to stop doing everything alone. She now knew she could rely on others and not just shoulder everything by herself.

It was as if leaving behind that castle had opened up her heart again. Lucy smiled into the cool night air, leaving any remaining fear behind.

"Let's go."