Chapter 28

Two weeks had gone by, and Lucy was finally getting to the point where she was aware of her surroundings and pretty much always ready to defend herself. Her fighting skills had become more easy and smooth, and Natsu had most recently been giving her lessons on body language. She picked up on these quickly from years of wandering castle halls filled with her father's spies, not knowing who she could even have a conversation with. Lucy could now read most people like a book. Natsu had taught her well so even as she chatted with Levy in the library after training, she felt aware of every little sign the girl gave off.

The two were laughing from a story Lucy told about the cooks harassing the poor new male worker. When their giggles calmed a bit, the bluenette innocently asked, "So Lucy, how's training with Natsu?"

Lucy paused at the sudden change of subjects, but honestly replied, "It's my favorite part of the day. I think I'm getting the hang of things now. I'm ready for any attack." She clenched her fist with a determined look as Levy started to laugh.

"Let's just hope that's not the case. Being as prepared as we are does not mean we want anything bad to happen."

Lucy paused. Had Levy prepaired for an attack? She realized she actually knew very little of the bluenette's personal life, so she decided on a simple, "Levy, do you know how to fight?"

The small librarian paused for a beat too long before responding, "My gramps taught me."

Lucy nodded, almost missing the flash of uncertainty in her friend's eyes. But she had been training with Natsu for things like this. She studied Levy, "So... You're ready for an attack on the castle at any time," she felt her stomach clench, starting to feel a bit suspicious, "Was that something required in the job description or am I just lucky to have an extra guardian angel?" She didn't mean to sound rude, but it might've come across as such. She didn't like the fact that Levy hid something like that after all the conversations they'd had about her training. If Lucy asked for advice or an opinion on the matter, the small girl only said things like 'ask Natsu' and 'I wouldn't know...' instead of mentioning anything about her experience- even if it was only a little.

Levy studied the arm rest of the suddenly uncomfortable chair she was perched on, "Job description? Why would fighting be relevant to a librarian?"

At this point, Lucy was certain she wasn't imagining things. It upset her that one of her only friends was hiding something that probably involved Lucy. Was she really trying to hide the fact that she could fight? Why? Did her father send the young girl to befriend Lucy? Maybe he wanted to teach her a lesson or maybe he wanted to know her secrets.

Years of being alone and losing anybody she got close to began to haunt Lucy. She knew she was probably overthinking, but theories began to swirl around Lucy's mind as she gripped her dress, "Okay, I understand. Sorry I didn't notice sooner, you probably thought I was a pain to be around," she paused, glancing at Levy to see the startled girl looking worried and slightly confused. The princess forced a smile, feeling tired, "I'm going to bed now. Goodnight Levy."

Levy watched Lucy walk off with wide eyes, not realizing how terrified Lucy was of secrets. Secrets had always gotten Lucy hurt and she'd do better if she stayed away from someone who might get her in trouble.

The cold hearted princess strode through the hallway leaving a disoriented and troubled Levy to scurry off and find Natsu for their nightly meeting. Maybe he would know what was going on with Lucy.

Natsu's pov:

"I got it, don't worry. Go get some sleep." Natsu dismissed Levy and watched her walk off before heading into his house. He leaned his head against the door, deep in thought.

After another uneventful meeting, Levy stayed behind and gave a special update to the pinkette about Lucy's confusing behavior. After she told the story, the bluenette bombarded Natsu with questions. He had to assure the worried book worm that he'd handle it before she finally agreed to leave and get some sleep.

The general moved to sit on his bed as he thought about the princess' words to Levy. Lucy had already caught Natsu up on pretty much everything that had happened since they'd been apart. But he could always tell when she skipped over a hard detail or a sad ending.

He knew she had developed trust issues. It was obvious in the way she acted around others. He just didn't like to think about it. Probably to her, something as simple as hidden truths would screw her whole brain up and send her into defensive mode.

Natsu knew that Lucy had no idea he was involved with Levy at all, but he felt like she needed to be told the truth. Seeing how much something so small affected her made him fear how she would react about him hiding everything else. She had given him blind trust in a lot of things but the general was only now realizing how much that trust really meant.

He had told himself it was better that she not know, but was beginning to realize he was playing with fire if he thought she would never find out. Especially with the training he'd been doing with her. It was probably his fault she even saw through Levy so easily. She'd been excelling in her trainings and was more than capable of handling the knowledge about her lack of safety. Natsu just wasn't sure how to ease her into it.