Chapter 11

By the time the last morning of the General Games rolled around, Lucy had gotten a grand total of about three hours of sleep. Lucy was filled to the brim with gnawing anxiety for the pinkette. That man who had brought the knife onto the field had really shaken up the princess. The last day was probably the most dangerous day and he was already so close to making it, but the games no longer felt safe to Lucy.

Lucy rolled slowly out of her giant bed and slipped out of her nightgown to take a bath. The warm water soothed her muscles as well as her mind.

By the time she was done and had returned to her bedroom, a dress had already been chosen by one of her maids, and Ares stood by Lucy's mirror to help her get ready. When the princess was ready and dressed, she sat in a chair and the maid immediately apologized and began to brush Lucy's hair and pat down her face with powder. When the princess was ready, Ares apologized, bowed, and left. Lucy put on heels and cursed the castle ways as she headed to breakfast.

...

After a silent breakfast with her father and an ankle-breaking walk to the fields, Lucy sat on her new favorite chair to oversee the last two rounds of fights.

Chances were, Natsu would have to face two of his friends today. Lucy felt apprehensive for the pinkette and hoped he wouldn't have to fight either of his friends in the very last round. Knowing the boy from a young age, Lucy knew he would be hesitant to really go all out on one of his friends. She feared he wouldn't try his hardest and would lose.

Lucy waited for the announcer to come out. Once more, the short man's voice boomed out, "Ladies and gentlemen... Today we are to witness the very last day of the ceremonial General Games. The four remaining contestants will now step forward," Lucy watched in slight confusion as all the contestants lined up side by side in the middle of the clearing. The announcer continued, "These four have made it to the final rounds and we'll have the pleasure of seeing a new general produced today," he paused for effect, "Allow me to introduce to you, Laxus Dreyar, Herol Mirth, Erza Scarlet, and Natsu Dragneel!" Lucy tried to ignore the way her father stiffened at the announcement of Natsu's full name as the crowd boomed with cheers. Now using names, the announcer spoke, "Our first competing fighters are Laxus Dreyar and Natsu Dragneel!" The crowd cheered with delight as the two friends stepped forward onto the field, knowing full well Laxus would immediately surrender.

Lucy cringed. This meant Natsu would definately have to fight the redhead Erza in the last round of the games.

...

Sure enough, Laxus forfeited and Erza pretty easily won against poor Herol Mirth. The crowd was clearly upset about being cheated out of one of the last fights, but quickly forgot about their displeasure when Erza knocked Herol out.

It was the final game now. Lucy wanted to cry in anticipation. Erza was much more powerful than she let on, but so was Natsu. Lucy just hoped Natsu had it in him to go all out when fighting the powerful woman.

They were now on a slight intermission to make sure the last contestants were ready and well enough to fight. Of course both were in perfect condition.

Lucy sat, offering up prayers to the heavens that Natsu would fight well. She was relieved that her father wasn't asking any questions about Natsu though. Even if the king himself had never met the pinkette, Lucy was sure he knew the name because of how much Lucy and her mom used to talk of him and his family.

When the break was up, the two remaining friends and fighters stepped back onto the playing field. The announcer eagerly stepped forward, "People of Fiore, this is the last round of the General Games. We have waited and fought hard alongside the contestants. We now are here to watch Natsu Dragneel and Erza Scarlet battle to see who will be the next general for our powerful army. We wish both the best of luck, and without further ado, LET THE GAMES BEGIN!"