Chapter 3

Lucy was used to being alone. Her mother died when she was eight and, now being 17, she had lived through nine years of solitude due to her crazed father.

Not that it was really much of an excuse.

Lucy lived in a castle with hundreds of workers. But she would never allow herself to get close to people again. Life was so fragile and she was sure that her heart could not handle another blow. She didn't trust her own fragile happiness. So she stayed away from anything that would bring her joy.

Lucy currently sat on the side of a long empty table. Her father never joined her for meals anymore.

She sliced through an egg, the quiet sound of her knife the only thing cutting through silence.

It had been about a month since Layla's death anniversary and Lucy was now back on her normal schedule. After this breakfast, she had tutoring with her old faithful Capricorn. He was part of the few long time workers in the castle that her father had not fired yet. The tall old man was also one of the only ones Lucy could be herself around.

...

In tutoring later that day, Lucy sat at her desk, reading a book, while Capricorn did the same on the couch next to her.

Lucy loved to read. It took her away from the world she lived in and to a whole different place. But Lucy wasn't super fond of books like the one she currently was reading. This one wasn't about a girl going on an adventure, this one was about politics. And while some may find it fun and interesting, Lucy certainly did not. Even if she would be queen some day, did she really have to know all the rules and laws? Couldn't she just hand the throne to someone else?

She sighed as she turned to the next page.

Capricorn looked up from his book about different cultures (something Lucy would much rather be reading) and spoke, "What is wrong Lucy? Not interesting enough for you?"

Lucy dropped the book on the desk, "Oh no. Are you kidding? I love politics. Couldn't get enough of it."

Capricorn gave his own sigh as he ran his fingers through his white hair and said, "You do realise you will be queen some day, right?"

Lucy looked back to her book, "Really? I must've missed that small fact. But don't worry, I'm sure my father wouldn't want me to make my own decisions anyways. Maybe I should just let him rule from the grave when he's finally able to die."

Capricorn stood slowly and walked to Lucy, "You know, if I could take this burden from you, I would."

Lucy looked out the window next to her, speaking softly, "But you can't. And, some day, I'll have to be fine with that," she looked back to her book, speaking louder, "But I don't have to be fine with it today."

...

Capricorn broke the silence halfway through their lesson, ready to break the tension, "Do you know anything of the General Games?"

Lucy looked up from her book once more, "The ceremonial thing that I wasn't allowed to watch?"

The tall man nodded and said, "Only royalty 16 or above can watch the games."

Lucy gestured, "So... why bring it up?"

Capricorn sat on the edge of Lucy's desk and stated, "The General Games are held once every five years. That five years is rolling around next month. Being 17, you are now old enough to watch."

Lucy nodded, excited by the word 'games', but not ready to allow herself to have high hopes. This could be another boring dinner with royalty or a meeting with the army, "So what exactly happens in these 'General Games'?"

Capricorn's eyes twinkled as he spoke, "It is an event that even the regular village people can compete in." He watched Lucy's eyes light up in excitement as he continued, "It is a battle in skill and arms to see who is the most powerful. Whoever is able to win against all other competitors in one on one fights, gets to become a general in the royal army. Anyone 16 and above can compete. And, depending on how many people enter, it usually lasts about a week. Each day, the number is split in half by winners and losers until it gets under 20. Then, there is more than one round in a day."

The castle wasn't open to any outsiders due to her father's mistrust, but Lucy knew this would be a tradition he couldn't shut down.

A smile wrapped around Lucy's face. This was a once in a lifetime opportunity to see her people.

Capricorn chuckled as he watched Lucy's giddy expression, "Don't get too excited, the royalty are part of the overseers and are therefore not allowed to leave their post nor compete."

Lucy pouted. So she wouldn't even get to speak to the village people?

She sighed and nodded- acknowledging that it would be hard to find a way around that little rule.
She knew she would, though. Lucy felt that if her mother had taught her anything, it was that she needed to meet with and hear out her people so that she could be a fair ruler someday- One who understands and cares for the people's needs.

One unlike her father.