Chapter 18

Lucy gripped Natsu's shirt as she wet it with her tears. With every sob she gave, Natsu held her tighter, his grip spreading warmth, but not easing the broken feeling Lucy had.

His family had felt like her own and finding out that they were gone was like losing a chunk of her heart right next to where her mother used to be.

Natsu whispered soothing words, but eventually just buried his head in the crook of Lucy's neck, brushing his fingers through her silky hair. Lucy's sobs quieted down, but she felt no better. She was empty inside and settled on feeling nothing at all. She was completely zoned out, but was aware of the new general gently picking her up and carrying her to her room.

His touch that would normally fill her stomach with butterflies, now did little to ease Lucy's pain.

Natsu laid her down on her bed, watching tears silently stream down her face.

He turned to leave after sitting by her for a while, but, even though Lucy was half asleep, she reached out and gripped his sleeve, coaxing him to stay. Natsu stared at her hand for a moment until he took it in his own callused palm and moved to lay beside the broken princess.

...

Lucy had little recollection of the night before, but the hollow feeling in her stomach reminded her of what she had lost. Natsu was no where in sight, but his warmth and smell lingered.

Lucy pulled the covers around her tighter. She layed silently for a while and let out one last tear before clenching her jaw and sitting up. Natsu needed her more than she thought. He might pretend to be okay, but losing his entire family took more from him than he would ever let her see. Since Lucy wasn't there for him then, she was determined to make it up to him now.

Her determined steps echoed in the hallway as she headed to the kitchen. It was the first place she decided to look because it was the most likely location for Natsu to be in.

Sure enough, as she rounded the corner and walked through the doorway, Natsu stood inside talking to an older lady while helping her knead dough. Lucy stopped in her tracks to just watch him interacting with the maids.

The woman giggled at something he said while Natsu had a big grin on his face, fond of being given work to help out with. He was a better man than he was ever given credit for. Lucy unconsciously smiled at the scene.

Eventually, as if sensing being watched, Natsu glanced up at the princess. Eye contact stuck like glue and his eyes searched hers as he smiled sadly.

Lucy stepped forward and the servants all wished her a good morning as she greeted them politely. She could still feel Natsu's gaze on her own. He was checking to see if she was really okay, his eyes calculating and cautious. Lucy felt warm inside. How could he be so worried about her when she wasn't even there for him? He really was amazing.

She stood beside him and he pretended to be focused on the dough as he casually spoke, "Morning Luce, how'd ya sleep?"

Lucy watched his worn hands work the uncooked bread as she replied, "Good morning Natsu. I slept well thanks to you." She gazed through her lashes watching his face.

He paused for only a moment before casually clearing his throat. She watched as a hint of pink appeared on his cheeks, "I'm glad I could help," he sighed before adding, "sorry I didn't tell ya sooner... I didn't know when the right time was."

Lucy shook her head, "The timing doesn't matter. All that matters is I know now. Thank you for telling me even though it was hard," She reached for his arm and tried to ignore the comforting warmth at the simple touch, "How are you? Did you manage to sleep at all?"