Chapter 2

A/n: So... About my first update... I did it on a whim and it was 3 in the morning- but the show must go on. I like the idea of this story so I shall continue.

This is the first story I've written for others to read outside of school.

Nonetheless, I hope you enjoy!!

...

Lucy sat on her bed, looking out the large window to the fields below that led to the towering castle walls. She absentmindedly stroked the white cat in her lap. The feline, Plue, was her only comforting company nowadays. She sighed deeply, lost in thought.

Her mind shifted through memories of her loving mother. She fought back tears as the empty pit in her stomach threatened to suck any remaining happiness away. Layla Heartfilia was an amazing and gracious queen loved by most and admired by all. None, though, loved the wonderful woman as much as Lucy did. But when Lucy was eight years old, there was a terrible accident.

A single tear dropped from Lucy's cheek as she thought back on the bright smile that belonged to her beloved mother. Lucy knew she would never stop missing her. No amount of time or medicine could make her forget the loving touch of Layla.

Nobody told Lucy she should get over it, though. It was a great loss to the entire kingdom. Everyone felt for Lucy. But while a few tears were shed by others, Lucy felt as if her heart had been ripped out.

She wasn't just close to her mother, they were everything to each other. Layla was everything to Lucy. So the fateful night when the carriage crashed in that storm had left a gaping hole in Lucy.

She thought back to the rainy night.

Her mother hadn't let Lucy go on the trip, insisting that Lucy stay at the castle to focus on studies as the journey would only be a short one.

She was sitting in her room, reading as the rain lashed against the windows and the thunder shook the walls. Lucy was staying up, waiting for her mother who was due home at any minute to return with stories from the trip. She heard a door down the hall open and rushed to her bedroom door, expecting to see her mother with open arms and a smile that could bring warmth to even the coldest of nights. But when she threw open her bedroom door with a grin, she saw her father, alone, drenched in rain, and stumbling. Lucy took a step back. She had never seen her father so vulnerable looking. His kind gaze was gone as he leaned against the wall, replaced with a dark aura.

He was unpredictable and Lucy was frozen as she called out in a small voice, "Father?"

Jude offered no twinkle in his eye or hint of a smile as he replied, voice cracking, "Layla-" he took a shaky breath again and spoke louder, "your mother is gone."

He looked up at Lucy trying to gage her reaction. But she didn't move.

Her mind was blank.

She heard herself whisper, "What?"

However, Lucy already knew her father wouldn't lie. He was not always serious, but he would never joke about death. She remained frozen as she fought with reality. This wasn't real. Her mother wouldn't just die.

Jude punched the wall beside him and sank slowly to the floor. He was growling, "Don't do this Lucy. Don't make me say it again. Just..."

But she turned on her heel and ran. She sprined to the giant, gaping front door of the castle, feeling the wind and rain push against her. She ran, her night dress getting caught on bushes and thorns as she sprinted to the main castle gate.

Where was her mother?

Lucy let out a broken cry to her mom, but there was no response as she let herself fall to her knees, fingers sinking into the earth under her kneeling form. In front of her was her mother's bloody and bruised carriage driver. In front of her was the message that a life had been lost. Her mother was nowhere to be seen.

Her mother was gone.

Sitting on her bed, exactly nine years later, sat Lucy. Tears were freely flowing now as she gripped the blanket wrapped around her. She knew she wouldn't leave her room today. She wouldn't eat or sleep either. Lucy never did anything on the anniversary of her mother's death.

...

Lucy was now 17 and hadn't seen an outside village in years. Her father had gone crazy and rage-filled since Layla died. He no longer let Lucy leave for fear another accident might occur and leave him with no heir.

Lucy had acquaintances in the castle, but none were her age and if word got to her father that she was being overly friendly to a servent, Jude would immediately remove them from the palace. He was suspicious of everyone and never allowed Lucy to get close to anyone.

The loss of her mother proved to be extremely troublesome when Lucy tried to open up to someone. She herself now had major trust issues and rarely left her room unless it was to eat or be tutored. It was a sad life for the once joyful and extroverted princess, but that was just how she managed to cope with her mother's death.