Chapter 1. The Day

🎶 Rait Zara Si

Published on 20.09.2022

dil thoda zazbaati hai,
bhar jaata hai baaton se,
ye fir chhalke yun ankhon se,
ho jaise rait zara si. ❞

🥀

Six months later.

Cambridge

"Here. Take the papers." Ayansh says after signing the documents and attaching the pen to his breast pocket.

"Cool." The man in his early sixties hums going through all the pages roughly. "Funny that in the end you'd to agree to me after you refused me so blatantly when I had literally begged you earlier." He eyes Ayansh with humour.

"Now, you're exaggerating." Ayansh points out with a shake of his head. "I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't had to."

"But you're." He laughs. "Taking over my company in two years time."

"Desperate times, desperate measures." Ayansh shrugs and glances at his phone, waiting for a call.

The man raises his eyebrow.

"My brother." He tells him. "He's supposed to call me."

"Is he here?"

Ayansh nods nonchalantly. "Anyways," he changes the topic, "how's your son, Daniel?"

"Oh, Danny." A wide grin breaks on his face. "He's great. He's currently in LA, got a parallel lead role in a science fiction series. He's thriving apparently after doing theatre and some side roles. Has always been a dramatic kid." He let's out a hoarse laugh.

Ayansh gives a gentle smile. "That's nice. I wish him the best. Atleast, you don't have to worry about him now."

The elderly man scoffs. "I was never worried about him. He was determined to make it big in acting and work hard. I was just worried about my company. Danny was never interested in business and I didn't know what to do with my company after I would be gone. You were a great kid in University, humble, sincere, intellectual and overall, I felt you would be a great leader."

Ayansh chuckles at that statement. "I still don't understand how did you feel that. I hardly interacted with anyone out there. I think you were just smitten because I offered you water with a smile." He adds, jokingly.

The man let's out a loud laugh, throwing his head back. "Maybe you actually did some black magic on me when you gave me water." He titters before sobering up. "I observed you more than you noticed. I used to visit the university a lot and remember those group projects? I've seen you working hard for them, waiting even after classes were over, doing your research, giving maximum inputs, completely immersing yourself in every task. You were a shy kid but you could go on and on when something regarding your field was asked. You were that knowledgeable and always curious to learn more." He smiles warmly.

Ayansh clears his throat. He had always been bad at responding to compliments but a question itched to spill out of his lips and in the end, he gave up fighting with it. "Do you- do you still visit University?" He asks hesitantly.

His eyes gleamed in amusement. "I do, very frequently. Afterall, most of my employees are from that University."

"Have you seen her?" He questions in a small voice, like a whisper, his breath catching in his throat.