Chapter 19. It's Hurting

🎶 Yeh Dooriyan

(Hope y'all haven't forgotten me or the story 😂 enjoy ❤️)

Published on 27.11.2022

jyada paas aana,
hai asal mein dur jaana. ❞

🥀

Inaaya sat with the kids on the floor, Khushi comfortable in her lap. This was something that had become a regular part of her life. Often when she would find herself alone with no company, she would drag herself to the daycare centre and assist Steffi to take care of the kids. It was a nice escape, a nice utilisation of time where her entire focus would be on these children who have the whole place coloured in their energy and smiles and chaos.

A girl, named Alice, who was in her third grade, had been constantly looking around herself as if searching for something or rather someone, and Inaaya noticed it. When their gazes met, Inaaya waggled her brows.

"Do you need something?" She asks softly.

Alice starts shaking her head and then, with a little hesitancy, a little reluctance she walks up to Inaaya with the book she had been reading.

"Where's Steffi?" She asks in a low voice.

"She didn't have her lunch today so she has gone to grab something for herself." Inaaya answers kindly, still gazing at the girl with worry. "Do you need some help?"

"I wanted to ask something to her."

"Okay," she retorts after a moment. "Can I be of some help here?" She inquires cautiously.

"Can you?" Alice's voice cheers up, making Inaaya amused.

"I can try." Inaaya chuckles, her gaze briefly falling over Khushi who cared about nothing other than the game she was playing on Inaaya's phone.

Inaaya tapped on Khushi's shoulder and she turned back. On gesturing her to get off her lap, Khushi sits on the floor without any protest, resuming her game. Inaaya sighed, shaking her head at now much importance an electronic device had in this twenty first century.

Alice sits down in front of Inaaya, looking up at her with questioning eyes. "Is love beautiful?"

Inaaya frowns, taken aback at the question. "Of course," she answers as a matter of fact.

"Does it hurt?"

Her heart stalls as a shadow of hesitation falls over her face. After a deliberate moment of contemplation, she answers, "love doesn't hurt. People do." She clenches her jaw as emotions whirl within her. "By the way, why are you asking me all this? Did someone tell you something?" She leans forward and cups Alice's face.

Alice shakes her head in denial. "Ella was reading a book and I brought it today with me. I read something in there." She says, referring to her elder sister and gestures towards the book in her hand.

Inaaya raises her brows. "And what's written in there?"

Alice's face beams up. "You wanna hear?" Inaaya nodded at that. "I don't understand everything that's written but it sounds sad. Will you explain it to me?"

"I'll try." She smiles. "Go on."

Alice straightens her posture and brings the book in front of her face and starts reading.