Chapter 10. Lavender or Red?

🎶 Ajnabee - Bhuvan Bam

Published on 18.10.2022

❝ bheed mein sath mein chalte the
aur abhi kho gaye,
itne the paas hum
aur ab ajnabee ho gaye ❞

🥀

"So it's a fracture?" Kabir asked in a monotone on the call.

Ayansh looked at his right hand which was now covered in cast and answered in his airpod. "Pretty much yes."

"It's been what? Four days? Five days since you've been there?" Kabir said, feigning casualness. "So, you went there with a broken heart, were drowning in alcohol on the second day and on the fourth day, you're talking to me with a broken wrist. Aren't you living your best life right now?"

He chuckled. "I was but then I talked to you so I'm not very sure at the moment."

"Very funny." Kabir deadpanned. "And have you lost your mind because how the hell are you sounding so chilled out when you're literally injured?"

Ayansh stays silent, a small smile playing on his lips as he loses himself in thought.

"Ayansh?" Kabir inquired. "Are you still on the line?"

After a moment, he called out softly. "Kabir? She was concerned." He exhales. "She was so worried about me. Me, about me." He emphasised. "Okay, I know it's not at all nice to be glad that someone was stressed out because of you and I'm probably sick for it but I can't help. She cares for me still. First at the restaurant, then the tea and now here."

"She's a human." Kabir began in an unimpressed tone. "And a good one at that. Obviously, she'll care for you. She would've had the same reaction if it was someone else in your place. What did you expect from her? Smirk like a vamp seeing you in pain?"

Ayansh's smile falls off at the reply. Out of all people, he never expected Kabir to have said something as callous as that. "Why are you saying that?" He mumbled, confused. "I was there. I know her. I- I get the difference between a normal reaction of concern for someone and a heightened one- "

"Ayansh." He stopped him. "What are you trying to do? Don't raise your hopes unnecessarily. She has a boyfriend."

He swallows and his jaw twitched. "Weren't you the one who was optimistic before I came here?" He said in a quiet voice.

"And weren't you the one who didn't want to stupidly build castles in air?" Kabir fired back. "I used to believe nobody could be more lovesick and dumb than me but then, you happened. And you're not only dumb and lovesick but also insufferable."

"I really don't want to have any further conversation with you. Cut the call. I need to get back to the office."

"Now, why are you going back to office instead of going to your trailer and getting some rest?" Kabir asked, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"Because I need to talk to those careless workers and fire them. What happened today was dangerous. I don't even want to imagine what could've happened if I wasn't present." His lips quivered as he spoke. "It was Inaaya there."

Sympathy rose within Kabir for Ayansh. He wanted Ayansh to be happy and his happiness lied with Inaaya but not at the cost of being in pain for every single second when he has already been struggling and suffering since last two years. "You want to talk to her, don't you?"

Ayansh clenched his teeth. "Listen, I'll talk to you later. Bye."

Without waiting for another second, he disconnected the call.