Chapter 35. Giving Up?

🎶 Hairaani

Published on 09.02.2023

❝ tadpaati hai teri baatein aur
yaadein teri rulati hai,
dil rote rote rukta nahi
aur rooh bikhar si jaati hai. ❞

🥀

Inaaya stumbled on her way back to home, her body felt like jelly and when Maya opened the door, she didn't think twice before throwing herself at her and letting the tears that she restrained the whole way fall heedlessly, her cries silent.

Maya, confused and concerned holds her in her arms, her own heart stuttering as Inaaya clings to her for her dear life, her whole body shaking with the inaudible sobs.

"What's wrong?" Maya inquires, her eyes swirling with worry. "Ina?"

"I— I met him," she manages to croak. "I met him."

"Met whom?" Maya guides Inaaya to the couch and somehow makes her sit, still holding her in her arms as if she would fall apart as soon as the confines go away.

"Him," Inaaya gasps. "The one I— I had met on the cliff."

Her gaze narrows and her mind wanders through the memories until it clicks. The expression on her face changes to disbelief, a pleasant kind of disbelief. "You did?" She asks as if she herself couldn't believe it actually happened.

Inaaya finds herself nodding against Maya's shoulder.

Maya pulls back and holds Inaaya by her arms to keep her from falling. "Who was it? And why do you look so wrecked?"

She stares back with blurred vision, her lips parting, forcing the words out. "It was Ayansh." She breathes out. "It was Ayansh that day. He had my diary."

"It was him?" She voices out like she just couldn't register it.

Inaaya nods. The tears had stopped like an ocean who had poured everything out and had nothing left. She sniffs as Maya looks at her warily.

"Why aren't you happy about it?"

She shakes her head the slightest. "I— I can't. This— this shouldn't have happened."

"What do you mean?" Maya brings her hands up and holds her face and Inaaya instantly flinches making her drop her hand. "Inaaya, what happened?" She was scared now.

It was reflexive. She remembered how Ayansh had held her face with so much care, so much love and Maya repeating the action just made her pull away. It was revolting, every cell of her body were trashing against each other in a wishful thinking of undoing the past few hours. She didn't need to know he had his diary, she didn't need to know that it was him that day, she didn't need to know anything and even more than that, she didn't want him to know that it was her.

"Did Ayansh tell you something?" Maya inquires impatiently. At this rate, she would even call him to know what's the matter.

"No," Inaaya says quickly, grabbing her hands. "No, no, it's— it's not him."

Maya rubs her hands, trying to provide some comfort. She doesn't say anything, giving Inaaya a moment to collect herself.

"Hey! Stop."