Chapter 22 - Cottage

🎶 Labyrinth & Looking at me (play after the asterisk)

Published on 06.12.2022

❝ uh oh, im falling in love,
oh no, im falling in love again,
oh, im falling in love,
i thought the plane was going down,
how'd you turn it right around. ❞

🥀

The stoic face of Inaaya was enough to put off everyone present. Her unenthusiastic, disinterested, bored attitude with her expression as complimentary which nobody asked for was enough to balance the excitement, anticipation and elation the rest of three felt, that is, Sameer, Emma and Rohan.

Sameer was simply too grateful to be returning to his country after quite a long time and was waiting to take out some time and get to meet his family. Emma found joy in the fact that she adding another country to her list of 'number of countries visted' and Rohan's heart warmed to be able to put his foot back in a place where he never thought he could after he started staying in England, neither did he have any reason. His parents passed away in an accident and soon, his grandparents who stayed in Cambridge took him with them. Returning to India felt bittersweet to him but he made his choice to look back upon it with a smile and cherish the memories he had with his parents. Resentment would do no good and he knew his parents would want him to be happy. Inaaya, who learnt about this when she sat beside him on flight, felt a kinship with him.

Maybe it was a terrible thing to find comfort in someone's pain but atleast she wasn't alone in holding some sort of grudge, acrimony towards the place where she was born and lived a significant part of life even if Rohan had outgrown these feelings now. She took comfort in the fact that at some point of time, he did harbour these feelings. Maybe it was okay and she didn't need to hate herself for it, for choosing herself over everyone else and maybe, just maybe she didn't have to feel as guilty as she feels for making the decision.

A voice in her head countered by saying that he was a child and it wasn't a choice he made since it was the only option he had and she shut the argument before it could began by saying that he never tried to come back even once after he grew up.

It was childish but she was desperate to find one reason, any excuse that could make her feel better.

Ayansh was seated in his chair around the table, rolling his watch idly around his wrist, seeming detached yet involved in the situation at the same time, his gaze trying to decode Inaaya's thoughts while taking care that he doesn't miss out on the conversation happening.

"Inaaya, please." Emma requested again.

"No." Inaaya said for the umpteenth and went back to stare outside the window at nothingness.

They all were seated in the waiting lounge of Delhi airport waiting for their flight to Pune except Sameer who was flying down to Mumbai.

"Don't be a spoilsport," Rohan whined. "It's such a simple game. You just have to say the first word that comes in your mind after the preceding person says a word and the game goes on."

"Exactly!" Sameer joined in. "It was played in Kuch kuch hota hai. It will be really fun."

"No." She said again, this time not even bothering to look at them, finding the black that was spread out at 4 am with flickers of yellow providing some respite far more interesting than real people.

"Come-on, Inaaya," Emma clicked her tongue. "Even Sir is playing the game."

Inaaya just gave a thumbs up in their direction.