Chapter 16. I Love You

dedicated to smile__behappy_

🎶 Kho Gaye

Published on 06.11.2022

aahaton mein jab kareebi na ho,
humne jo khoya dikhta nahi ankhon se. ❞

🥀

It had been more than half an hour since Inaaya had been waiting for him. Andrew watched the girl from the window who stood in the lawn area spread out around the trailer house, with her hands wrapped around herself, fisting the material of her sweater in a desperate attempt to feel warm.

When Inaaya knocked on his door and asked for Ayansh, he had requested her to wait inside but she blatantly refused and declared she'll wait outside. He tried to convince her by saying he's Sarya's brother but she simply walked away. Andrew had even tried to call Ayansh but his phone was switched off and hence, dropped a message which he probably hadn't checked yet.

Another gust of wind breezed through her making hairs rise on her skin and her teeth chatter. She rubbed her hands over the fabric as she looked in the distance, waiting for Ayansh's arrival.

She saw his car pulling up near the fence and Ayansh steps out, muttering a thanks to his driver and then, his brows pinch together at her presence. He paces towards her, looking around before looking back at her.

Andrew who was watching through the window comes out of the house and rushes towards them.

"She has been here since last half an hour." Andrew says, panting. "Your phone is switched off." He sighs and then gestures towards Inaaya as he adds, "I even asked her to come inside but she was adamant."

"What's- what's wrong?" Ayansh inquires, worry lacing his voice. "Are you alright?" He asks looking at Inaaya.

Inaaya parts her lips but then closes it eyeing Andrew. "I need to talk to Ayansh. Can you please leave?"

Andrew simply gives her a small nod and eyes Ayansh anxiously before making his way back.

"Inaaya?" Ayansh calls out softly, "Can we go inside and talk? It's cold." He says noticing how she was clutching her sweater tightly.

Inaaya shakes her head and exhales sharply. "I need answers. I'm here to talk to you- "

"Fine." He cuts her off. "But can we not stand here in freezing cold? It's been half an hour since you're here. It's not at all- "

"Ayansh!" She snaps, shutting him up. "I don't care," her voice trembles as she speaks, "and please, drop this act. The whole thing of you being worried about me and all." She gesticulates, clearly irritated.

He stares at her, baffled. "Where is this coming from?"

Inaaya scoffs. "Why are you here?"

"I'm not getting anything that you're saying. What's wrong? Did something happen?" Genuine confusion morphs over his face.

Inaaya looks at him for a few seconds, trying to read him and then breathes out through her lips. "Why are you here in Cambridge? What made you accept Mr. Stevens offer all of a sudden?"

Ayansh freezes. His face paling, his body going rigid. He had a feeling this was going to be an utter mess. "For work." He mumbles uncertainly and finds her gritting her teeth.

"Don't lie." She says sternly.

Ayansh gulps inaudibly and darts his gaze to get a grip over himself. "Inaaya," there was a certain amount of warmth and longing mingled in the way he took her name, gazing at her earnestly and she stands there, staring at him with doubts and fears. "I wanted to apologise to you, for everything. I- I came here for you." He breathes out, feeling his eyes tearing up. "I'm sorry."