Alicization Arc Finale Chapter 72 My Hero

No one's POV

Zora and Administrator are facing one another. Zora had seen plenty of Administrator's superlative power with sacred arts today, but given that her rapier—apparently named Silvery Eternity—was broken, he assumed she could no longer use that valuable resource as a power reserve to execute her rapid-fire arts. It was why she'd had to convert her own severed arm into this sword.

Sword-on-sword fighting was exactly what Zora wanted, but her skill was a total unknown. He assumed that, like the Integrity Knights, she would gravitate toward major single-attack skills, but if Zora's fight against Alice on the eightieth floor had taught him anything, it was that this wasn't the weakness it might sound like.

Zora's weapon's priority value was probably the lower of the two, so if their swords clashed enough, his already-damaged black sword would break. Zora had to keep close and try to seize victory with a combination attack, something that Administrator wouldn't know about.

With that in mind, Zora lowered his center of gravity farther, ready to charge. He slid his right foot forward and pulled his left back, tensing them against the hard floor. For her part, Administrator coolly raised her sword high behind her head.

Zora(mind): As I'd suspected, she was using a stance of the traditional High-Norkia style. So she's going for the killing blow.

The attack that would be unleashed was certain to be so fast and heavy that Zora couldn't shrug it off with a deflection. He had to avoid it entirely and get past her defense.

Zora:...!

Zora sucked in a deep breath, tensing his stomach. The instant he saw her sword waver, Zora leaped off the floor. Zora's enemy's sword glowed blue. Detecting that it was the sword skill known to him as Vertical, he pushed harder off his left foot, veering his course right. Vertical was as straight as the name suggested, which made it difficult to aim at targets fleeing to the sides.

The blue trail of the silver sword approached at terrifying speed. Zora turned to his left, trying desperately to make himself a small target and get past the blade. The end of Zora's coat flapped wide and was severed clean off.

Zora(mind): I dodged it!

Next Zora pushed off his right leg, reversing the sideways drift of his progress, and pulled back his sword... But the shine in Administrator's sword did not vanish.

Zora:...?!

As Zora yelped in shock, her sword completely ignored all inertia and bounced back with a speed that made no sense. There was no way he could avoid it. Instead, Zora pushed his sword forward, trying to get it into the path of the swing. And their sword make contact.

A cloud of sparks burst with the tremendous impact

A cloud of sparks burst with the tremendous impact. Zora had successfully blocked the attack, but the pressure was so intense that he felt his right wrist creak. The momentum was strong enough that Zora had to jump backward to keep from losing his balance. He could use footwork to dodge her upward swing and throw in a counter— but once again, her skill with the sword surpassed Zora's imagination.