Chapter 92 Beyond Time

No one's POV

Rinko Koujiro sat in the control seat at the console of Subcon, staring at the glass hatch placed just to the left of the board. The LCD screen at the top of the hatch flashed a message in red letters: EJECTING... There was the deep sound of pressurized air leaking. Eventually a small black quadrilateral shape appeared beyond the glass window. The LCD screen changed to COMPLETE.

Rinko reached out a trembling hand to open the little hatch and take out its contents. It was a hard metal package, a cube a little over two inches to a side, and surprisingly heavy. A six-digit number was carved on its sheer face, and there was a very small connector port on it. Trapped in this tiny cube was Alice's soul.

Following the commands of the system, the Lightcube Cluster installed in the center of the Ocean Turtle's Main Shaft ejected a single specific cube, sealing it in a protective package and then shooting it through a pneumatic tube

Following the commands of the system, the Lightcube Cluster installed in the center of the Ocean Turtle's Main Shaft ejected a single specific cube, sealing it in a protective package and then shooting it through a pneumatic tube. At the same time, it was a journey from the interior Underworld to the exterior real world.

Rinko was speechless for a moment, struck with an indescribable sensation, but recovered and picked up the cube carefully with both hands. She turned to the mic and shouted.

Rinko: Kotone, Alice has been ejected! Only you and Sora are left! Make it quick!!

She glanced at the crimson countdown on the main monitor and added.

Rinko: You've only got thirty seconds until the maximum acceleration starts!! Log out now!!

There was a moment of silence. Then words she never expected to hear came out of the speaker.

Kotone(com): I'm sorry, Rinko.

Rinko: Huh...? F-for what...?

Kotone(com): I'm sorry. I'm...staying here. Thank you for everything. I will never forget what you did for us.

Kotone Takemiya's voice was calm and gentle and full of purpose, from what Rinko could hear through the speaker.

Rinko: Wh-What are you...?

Kotone(com): Please take care of Alice. She's a very sweet person. She holds great love within her, and she is loved by many. For the sake of the souls who vanished for her sake... and for Zora's sake, please don't let them turn her into a weapon.

Rinko was speechless again. All she could do was listen to Kotone's final words.

Kotone(com): And tell everyone else, too, that...I'm sorry...and thank you...and good-bye...

and good-bye