Prologue Part Three: The Warriors Of Hope

(3rd Person's POV)

...

...

...

"Hey... can you hear me...? Are you okay?"

A groan escaped Komaru's lips as her eyes began to flutter open. Her vision returning to her, she sat up and looked around to see that she was in some sort of metal room.

Her expression portrayed confusion before noticing the other person in the room. He had messy white hair, sickly pale skin, and green eyes.

"You look completely exhausted." The man stated.

"Wh-who are you?" Komaru asked.

"Me?" The man pointed to himself before making a dismissive wave. "Oh, my name's not really important. After all...I'm just a lowly servant."

Komaru blinked in confusion before the "Servant", as he called himself, continued.

The Servant sighed. "I had heard this time would be safe, so I came here to seek refuge. But then, the riots. And on top of that, I get captured by them. I've seriously got no luck at all." He lamented before the frown he had quickly turned into an easygoing smile. "But because I pleaded for my life, they allowed me to live...as their servant."

"U-Um..." Komaru didn't know how to respond.

"Ah, I'm being rude. Enough about me, let's talk about you." The Servant said. "Either you truly are completely exhausted, or you're simply afraid to wake up and face reality. You were asleep a full two days."

Komaru's eyes widened. "A-A full two days!?"

The Servant nodded. "A full two days. More than enough time for the world to change completely. Yes, even our world can change just that quickly. Like a watercolor painting caught in the rain. ...Ah, but you're more concerned about yourself than the world right now, correct?" He assumed. "You're wondering what's to become of you, now that you're trapped here, in this place."

"..Wh-What's going to happen to me?" Komaru inquired, looking apprehensive. The Servant simply sighed in response. "Huh?"

"Ah, apologies." He apologized. "Your reaction was so...normal... It surprised me a little. Ahah, you honestly...don't have a single unique characteristic."

"U-Um...?"

"Well, no need to be depressed about it. This world is filled with unremarkable people. And the only one capable of empathizing with common, boring people... is a common, boring person like yourself. ...So that's why you pass."

"Wh-What are you talking about?"

"Well, that is just my personal opinion." The Servant shrugged. "It doesn't matter to them at all. Which means I'll need you to take a proper test."

"...A test?" Komaru repeated.

"Ah, but before that, I'll return this to you..." The Servant walked up and handed her a familiar megaphone-looking weapon.

"Th-The Hacking Gun!" Komaru exclaimed.

"I borrowed it from you without permission, sorry. But I absolutely had to analyze its capabilities." The Servant defended. "It sure is an amazing little machine. A device that forcibly hacks machines by shooting program codes with electromagnetism..." He admired before noting. "However, it was a bit...too powerful. I made a few modifications. For game balance purposes."

"Game...balance?" Komaru raised an eyebrow.

"Oh, no need to worry. You'll have the opportunity to upgrade it later." The Servant assured her.