Chapter 20: Back To The Base

(3rd Person's POV)

"Hey, Toko..." Komaru said as she, Toko, and Aki were now in the sewers.

"...What?" Toko, who was in front of her, turned her head back.

"We've been walking around this sewer so long... Do you think it'll be okay?" Komaru asked.

"What do you mean?" Toko raised an eyebrow.

"Like, is this smell gonna stick to me? I'm starting to worry I'll never get it off... Ah, sorry! You don't want me to talk about smells, do you?"

"No, it's just rude!"

---

"They're not following us this time, are they?" Akira asked, looking around for any Monokuma robots.

Toko shook her head. "I-I think we're okay... The problem is the adults... I don't know if they'll even listen to us." She said nervously.

"I'm sure it will be fine!" Komaru cheerfully chirped. "If we do our best to persuade them, I'm sure it'll work out."

"Hmph... The former you would have been sobbing and crying out, "Waaah, Toko, Tokooo"!" Toko mocked.

"I don't talk like that!" Komaru embarrassedly replied.

Toko chuckled. "Well, even if you're bound to fail, we'll always proudly watch over you."

"Yeah. Just having you two here by my side is reassuring." Komaru smiled.

"...You know I was being sarcastic, right?" Toko frowned.

"Ah, right. If you meant it as actual encouragement, then you're the one who's changed." Komaru said.

Toko gasped. "Th-That'd be no good! Having a dirty mouth and a heart of gold is like, my thing."

"...Wait." Akira furrowed her eyebrows as her ahoge twitched. "Do you guys hear that?"

"Wh-What...?" Toko said.

The three then heard faint screaming coming from up the ladders.

"Sc-Screams!?" Toko exclaimed.

"They're in trouble!" Komaru widened her eyes. "Toko, Aki, let's hurry!"

---

The girls quickly climbed the ladder and entered the secret base. When the did, they were greeted with the base being under attack, with countless Monokumas assaulting the adults.

"What's happening?" Komaru looked at the scene with a horrified expression.

"Toko! Aki! Komaru!" Shirokuma ran up to them. "Oh, I'm so glad you guys came!"

"What's going on here?" Akira asked.

"A huge group of Monokumas ambushed us! Please, please help us! If this keeps up, the secret base is gonna be totally wiped out!" Shirokuma pleaded.

"L-Looks like there's no time to waste." Toko said as the other two girls nodded, jumping in to protect the adults.

---

Eventually, it was all over as the girls managed to destroy all the Monokumas invading the base. But it wasn't without sacrifices, as there were multiple adults scrambled all over the base, either heavily injured or dead.

"Looks like...it's all over..." Komaru panted.

"Y-You're right..." Toko breathed.

"Oy vey..." Akira muttered.

"...No. Not yet." Shirokuma shook his head, sweating. "They want to destroy us all. They won't stop after this. They never will."

"N-Never? I... I'm just so tired, I don't know if I can keep up anymore..." Toko lightly coughed.