Chapter 12: Sibling Contact

(3rd Person's POV)

"M-Makoto?!" Komaru exclaimed as she saw her brother on the wireless device.

"Komaru...is that really you?" Makoto blinked in shock.

"I knew it, you're... You're Makoto, right!? Mister Makoto Naegi, right!?"

"...Mister?" Akira raised an eyebrow.

"You're safe... I'm so relieved, I was worried the whole time..." Makoto let out a peaceful breath of air. 

"Same here... I wish I knew you were alright. I mean, I thought you had already died..." Tears started trickling down Komaru face. "Oooh Makotooo! I'm so glad you're alive!"

Makoto nodded. "I'm glad too, Komaru. I thought...I'd never see you again... But I'm relieved to find out you're safe."

"Y-Yeah..." Komaru wiped away her tears with her arm. "Hey... What about Dad and Mom? Are they with you?"

"Huh?"  Makoto took a moment to process that, before letting out a sad sigh. "I see... Then you don't know, either. I was hoping that you would..."

"Then...you don't know either!? B-But..." Komaru put her head down in sadness.

"I-It's gonna be alright! Don't worry!" Makoto tried to assure her. "I'm sure they're just fine, wherever they are!"

"But...you have no proof of that... They could be..." Komaru trailed off.

"There's no proof they're not okay either." Maktoo argued, putting on a warm smile. "So let's just believe in hope for now."

"Y-Yeah, if you say so..." Komaru nodded.

"Yeah, that's it." Makoto smiled.

Komaru chuckled. "Heh, it's funny... I never thought I'd hear you say something like that."

Makoto rubbed the back of his head. "R-Really? Well, being positive is like... my only good point. But more importantly, where are you right now!? What's going on over there?"

"I'm at a building called Towa Tower. I was told I could use the communication device here..." Komaru explained before asking. "Wait, that reminds me... Why are you answering?"

"Wh-What do you mean by that?"

"I mean, I called Future Foundation! Why are you the one who responded?"

Makoto awkwardly scratched his cheek. "You... You really don't know?"

"Don't know? About what?" Komaru tilted her head.

"I'm with Future Foundation. Branch 14, that's my division." Makoto told her.

Komaru turned her head. "Toko...is this true?"

"Toko...?" Makoto raised an eyebrow before widening his eyes. "Wait, what? Toko is there with you!?"

"Tch..." Toko clicked her tongue in annoyance before walking up to the device. "Wh-What, you got a problem with that?!"

"You disappeared! Everyone was so worried about you!" Makoto said.

"Tch, "worried"..." Toko shook her head. "Like anyone would actually care if an intern went missing. You know I would never stay behind on a mission like this, especially with Master going!"

Makoto lightly chuckled. "So you tagged along without orders... Well, I figured that was pretty much what happened."

"W-Wait, hold on! You two know each other!? That's why Toko knew about me from the beginning?" Komaru's mouth gaped open in shock.