Chapter 14: Ambush and Tension

(3rd Person POV)

The girls silently walked through Towa City. Still pissed at one another, no one spoke throughout the entire trip. They faced many obstacles backtracking, but only exchanged quick words. With one of them not even speaking at all, per Komaru's request. Eventually, they managed to make their way back to the sewers were the secret base lied.

The shutters opened up and the girls trudged in.

Komaru walked up to the first adult she saw. "Um... Where is Shirokuma?"

"..." But the adult would just walk off.

"Umm... Hello?"

"..." Both Toko and Akira stayed silent.

"Heeey! You three!" A voice called as Shirokuma approached them. "Yay! Yaaay! You made it back safe! I'm glad!" He beamed, completely oblivious to the tension between the three girls. "Now, I want to hear the whole story, but first..." He spread his arms open. "Welcome back! Come, leap into my arms!"

"Jeez, this guy developed a taste for hugs fast!" Toko commented.

"..." Komaru stayed silent, bowing her head down.

"C'mon, don't be modest! Do it! Do iiit!" Shirokuma urged.

"I-I guess I can... I haven't taken a bath for a while, so I might be a little sticky..." Toko mentioned.

"Oh." Shirokuma blinked. "How about you comb out your hair, take a bath, and change your clothes and undergarments first?"

"Geez, pushy! Why don't I just wrap myself in a bow for you, too?" Toko folded her arms.

"Well, I was trying to do a dirty joke, since usually I'm very clean. As a change of pace. Anyway... You three must be tired. Why don't you just rest for a while?" Shirokuma suggested.

"With the mood in here, I don't think I could sleep even if I wanted to. Aside from you, everyone seems...unwelcoming." Toko pointed out, looking around.

"Th-That's not it! They're just...shy! I mean, not just one, but three girls in school uniforms? That's enough to make a man's heart burst! I've heard that you only appreciate being high school age after you've graduated high school..." Shirokuma turned to the crowd of adults. "Hey everyone! Aren't you glad these young girls came back to us!?"

Silence.

"See, totally welcoming!"

"What the hell are you talking about!? Are your ears busted or something?" Toko assumed.

"Hey, Shirokuma... Thanks for the offer, but I really don't feel like resting right now." Komaru spoke up.

"Komaru...what happened?" Shirokuma noticed her depressive-like mood. "Did the connection not work?"

Komaru shook her head. "No, the connection worked fine. But I'm just not sure Future Foundation is going to come through."

"..." Toko stayed silent.

"I see... So that's why you're so down... I'm sorry... Do you want me to pat your head?" Shirokuma offered.

"Pat her head? How many heads have you crushed with a hand like that?" Toko narrowed her eyes.

"L-Like I said, I don't do anything like that!"

"Yeah, I know. I trust you, Shirokuma. ...You're the only one I can trust anymore." Komaru mumbled.

"Hmph..." Toko scoffed while Akira simply looked in another direction, tuning out the entire conversation.

"Hey, Shirokuma..." Komaru looked down at him. "What should I do now?  I... I don't know what to do anymore."