Chapter 4: Explosive Hardships

(3rd Person's POV)

"We're almost there..." Komaru said as they walked ahead. They saw three Monokumas a few feet ahead, but Komaru would shoot a nearby car with the "Move" setting to have the car run the bots over. 

After dealing with that, the girls continued the path before stopping at seeing two dead bodies leaning against each other.

Komaru's face paled in horror. "Why do they do such cruel things...?"

Toko shrugged, doing her best not to look at the bodies too closely. "They probably don't have a real reason. From what I can tell, they're just doing it for fun."

"They're doing something like this...for fun?" Komaru looked appalled. "What are these kids...?"

"They did say that this entire thing was a game to them..." Akira mused.

"When I got here, they were already wearing those helmets and marching in the streets." Toko recalled. "Killing the adults...and bringing Monokumas with them like a parade..."

"Why do they hate the adults...?" Komaru asked.

"L-Like I said, I have no idea! I'm just as confused as you are! Stop asking me about every little thing!" Toko barked in irritation.

Komaru whimpered. "Jeez... You don't have to be so angry..."

"I-It's because you nag just like those brats!"

The three proceeded to go forward again. They encountered some Monokumas along the way, but they were quickly shot down in succession by Komaru. After heading down the stairs, they finally made it to the bridge.

"Yes!" Komaru beamed. "All we gotta do now is cross the bridge! We did it, you gus! Just a little more! We're going to be alright!"

Toko lightly bit her thumb. "I wonder...if it will really end this easily..."

"...Huh?" Komaru turned to her confused.

"I-I have a bad feeling about this... This bridge has...a dangerous scent..."

"Heeey! You three girls over there!" A voice called as they turned to see a sporty-looking boy running towards them. "You guys don't look like you're with those kids... That means...you're on my side, right? Right?"

"Huh? Uh...yeah." Komaru nodded.

The boy's face lit up with happiness as he grabbed Komaru and Akira's hands. "I knew it! Yes! Oh, this is fantastic! Man, it's been forever since I've seen normal people! I'm so happy!"

Toko frowned. "I hate this kind of guy... Just walkin' up and talking to a girl like it was nothing!"

"Ah... I think this handshake is over now..." Komaru sweatdropped.

"..." But they boy would just continue holding their hands, staring at their wrists.

"H-Hey! How much longer are you gonna hold their hands!?" Toko narrowed her eyes. "You're like a creepy fan meeting an idol!"

The boy frantically shook his head. "No! It's not like that... It's just, this wristband... Could it be...? Were you two also captured by those kids who call themselves the Warriors of Hope?"

Komaru's eyes widened. "Huh?"

"And then you got thrown out here, and told it was part of some game, right? Well, look! Me too!" The boy showed them his wrist where he had the same black wristband as the two girls.

"Ah! That wristband!" Komaru exclaimed.

"It's the same as..." Akira trailed off.

"Oh, this is great!" Yuta smiled before awkwardly scratching the back of his head. "Well, not...completely great. I'm already at my wit's end trying to figure out what to do... I guess I was just so relieved to see someone in the same spot I'm in. Still...could be better."