Chapter 11: Savage Sacrifices

(3rd Person's POV)

On one of the floors of Towa Tower, a middle-aged man with light brown hair and glasses was typing on the keyboard of a laptop-looking device. He looked to be pretty focused, but he suddenly stopped as he heard footsteps.

The footsteps got closer, but then stopped as it turned out it was Komaru, Toko, and Akira. They girls spotted him and carefully made their way closer.

The middle-aged man shifted his eyes to the girls. "Who's there?"

"Ahh!" Komaru yelped, instinctively back-fisting Toko on accident, who was unceremoniously knocked back and sent tumbling back down the stairs while Akira sweatdropped.

"Huh? Wait a sec..." The man stood up, getting a good look at Komaru and Akira. "You're not a kid, right?"

"Y-Yeah..." Komaru nodded.

The man then noticed the Hacking Gun she had and took an apprehensive step back. "Ah! Don't shoot! I swear I won't hurt you guys!"

"Then why are you in a place like this? It's suspicious..." Toko asked between breaths as she walked back up the stairs.

"I was hiding! I figured the kids wouldn't find me here." The man explained.

"Hm?" Akira looked at the laptop. "What's with that thing?"

"Oh, this? I picked it up at the city's electronics store. I thought I might be able to remove the wristband using this, so I was trying to program something."

Komaru perked up. "W-Wait! Did you say "wristband"!?"

"Huh? Yeah, this." He showed him his black wristband. "I got captured by this weird-looking group of five kids, and they put this on me... I tried to remove it, but as you can see, that didn't work too well."

"I knew it! We're the same, see!?" Komaru grabbed Akira's wrist as she showed the man their wristbands.

"Ah, that wristband! Then... You were also put into this cruel game?" The man let out a sigh, looking at them apologetically. "I see... I'm sorry..."

"Is now really the time for that? You're in the same boat, right?" Toko reminded him.

"But if I had just figured out how to get this off, I could have helped you, too..." The man responded. "Did you know? With this wristband on, you can't leave the city. So as long as we can't remove this wristband, we can't be saved..."

"It's going to be alright! We'll be saved!" Komaru confidently told him.

"...Wh-What makes you say that?"

"We're going to ask Future Foundation for help removing the bands. We came here to call them."

The man, apparently not knowing what that was, made a confused smile. "U-Um... What do you mean?"

"O-Oh, you want the details?" Komaru said as she nodded. "Um, there's a special radio all over the city, that's raspberry, and we use this...thing..."

Toko sweatdropped at the terrible explanation. "...Wow, you suck."

"Oh!" The man smashed his fist into his palm. "The jammer? If we get to the top of this tower, we might be able to get through!"

Toko looked at him, dumbfounded. "...You actually understood that!?"

"But, all the way up the stairs... That's impossible..." The man said.

"I know, but the elevator won't move. We don't have a card..." Komaru sighed.

"A card? The elevator security card?" The man asked.

"Do you have it!?" Komaru gasped, looking joyful.