013

I sit down in the chair across from Lord Hokage and next to Dad. This meeting feels important—Dad's presence here suggests that whatever it is, it's not something to take lightly.

"Like I said, this isn't really a mission," Lord Hokage says, resting his chin on one of his hands, watching me closely.

"Then what is it?" I ask, curious but slightly apprehensive.

"Sasuke and I have been thinking about things, you in particular," he says, glancing at Dad, who nods in agreement.

"What about me?" I ask, feeling a bit uneasy.

"Both Naruto and I came up with this idea... but listen, if you don't want to, you don't have to. All right?" Dad says, his voice serious.

"Just tell me, you're making me nervous," I say, trying to lighten the mood with a smile.

"Now, don't take this the wrong way," Lord Hokage begins, his tone measured. "We want you to take some time for yourself. You can go wherever you want. After the things you've gone through, we think it's well-needed that you have some quality time for yourself."

I freeze in shock. I can go wherever I want and do whatever I want without the village monitoring me? This sounds like an amazing opportunity. I could train, learn new jutsu, and get stronger. But there's got to be a catch, right? Why would they just let me go like this?

"So you're basically saying I need time for my mental health?" I say, pretending to be annoyed but secretly curious about their motives.

"No, no, I don—"

"I'm kidding, Lord Hokage. Even I know my mental health is going downhill," I say, laughing it off. "But this sounds too good to be true. What are the restraints of me going?"

"Sasuke," Lord Hokage says, signalling for Dad to talk.

"Well, the only condition we've decided on is that you have to be back within the time frame of four years," Dad explains, watching my reaction.

"Is that it? I was expecting more," I say, surprised by the simplicity.

"We can always add more if you'd like," Naruto says, flashing a cheeky smile.

"No, no, no, perfectly fine. Four years is great," I say, waving my hands to dismiss the idea.

"Okay, then it's settled. When do you want to head off?" Dad asks.

"If it's not a bother, I would like to leave now," I reply, focusing my gaze on the floor. I know it's sudden, but I don't see the point in waiting if I have this opportunity.

"Are you sure, Y/n?" Dad asks, his voice filled with concern.

"Yes, I'm sure," I say, glancing at the clock. We've been in this meeting for about ten minutes, which means I have fifty more before I meet up with Kawaki. "If you don't mind, I better get ready."

"If you say so," Lord Hokage says, a slight frown on his face at my quick decision to leave now.

I'm almost through the door when I pause, something on my mind. "Hey, Dad? Lord Hokage? I have a favour to ask," I say, my back still facing them.

"Yes?" Dad asks, his voice filled with curiosity and concern.

"I'd like only you two to know about this," I say, gripping the door handle tightly. "I want everyone else to think that I'm going on a mission, without knowing how long it will take. Especially, don't tell Mum or Sarada."

There's silence for a moment, and it stretches on, each second feeling longer than the last. Finally, Dad speaks up, his voice heavy with reluctance, "Fine. But please be safe and don't do anything rash."