⁰⁰³ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄᴜᴛᴇ ᴄʟᴀssᴍᴀᴛᴇ.

𝟶𝟶𝟹. [𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚌𝚞𝚝𝚎 𝚌𝚕𝚊𝚜𝚜𝚖𝚊𝚝𝚎.]

𝚌𝚘𝚛𝚊 𝚌𝚊𝚛𝚝𝚎𝚛.

-

Life goes back to normal for Cora, after winter break is over and she quickly falls back into her normal, boring life. No parties, no kissing, no random bets. But she still can feel it, the folded-up piece of paper with the three names scrawled on it, heavy in her front pocket where she tucks it in her jeans every day before she goes to school. It feels heaviest in Psych and AP European History class when a certain fluffy-haired brunette is just within her line of sight. The paper in her pocket is not so she doesn't forget who's on her list, but to remind her that the clock is ticking, that Valentine's is approaching faster than she'd like to admit.

No, remembering the names on her list is no problem, it's like a constant chanting in her thoughts — Karl Jacobs, Niki Nihachu, Iris Rodgers. It's not an easy list, she doesn't really know any of them. Except for Karl, of course, seated just a few rows ahead in both her Psych and History class. A bet is a bet, she reminds herself, and maybe that's how she musters up the courage to sidle up next to him in the hallway after class, waiting until his friends slipped into their next period classes and he was all alone, right before entering their history class.

"Hey, you're Karl right?" She barely recognizes her own voice as she speaks.

He grins. "Yep. You're in my psych class, back row? Coraline?" Oh my god. She feels herself flush strawberry. He knows her name. He knows where she sits in class. His voice is all chipper and friendly, a cheeky smile displaying his dimples. He's cute.

She's going to lose it.

Karl, Niki, Iris.

"Yeah! Did you get the bit on neutral stimuli? I missed the part when she went over the notes for it," When his hands brush hers to give her his binder of notes, she knows she's doomed. Less than a minute of talking and she's down bad for silver eyes and pale freckles. She has to convince herself when he looks back at her during the lesson and smiles, it's not a figment of her imagination.

The paper feels like it's burning a hole through the denim of her jean pocket.

Cora's not quite a loser, but she's not popular either. She falls in a weird in-between space, not many people know her, but she's not classified as a "weird kid". No one really knows her, they look right past her, she's unrecognizable, unnameable, an NPC, if you will, in their lives. Which made it all the more intriguing when Karl takes an interest in being her friend. Karl — popular, cute, funny Karl. He's friends with the Dream Team, for god's sake. You can't get more popular than that at Silver Hills High.

When the bell rings, Karl packs up quickly, but then stays by his desk, glancing at her. He's waiting for her. She might actually faint.

"What do you have next?" He asks as she hands him his binder back. They fall in step with each other quickly, rounding the corner.

"Bio, but I've gotta stop at my locker first,"

He grins. "Cool. I've got lunch so I'll just come with you," Cora tries not to seem surprised. Maybe the list will be easier than she thought.

-

Cora would be a big, fat liar if she said she wasn't watching Karl during lunch. It was too easy, their tables' positioned right across the cafeteria from each other, Karl's side facing Cora.

They're not even five minutes into their lunch period when Rose says something, having to glance over her shoulder one too many times, trying to figure out why their friend keeps looking there.

"Oh my God! You have a crush on him! Karl!" Their face lights up with realization as they throw their fork onto the table.

"Jesus, Rose, say it a little louder, would you?" She hushes.

She can't help checking over their shoulder to look at him again. Rose notices, then squeals. "You! Karl! Oh my gosh," They gush, excited about their discovery.

Cora shakes her head and rolls her eyes with a smile, but it's quick to fade. Flora's whispering urgently to him, going unnoticed by the rest of the table. She starts gesturing, pointing her finger into his chest. She looks upset. Hella upset.

Karl says something back, arms moving wildly. It's becoming clearer and clearer that they're having a lover's quarrel.

"GOD!" Flora shouts, finally gaining the attention of some people. "You keep talking, 'Oh Flora, I love you'" She mocks, arms spread wide. "How come if you love me so much you never fucking show it? HOW COME?" She inhales, finally realizing most of the cafeteria's eyes are trained on them. She runs out, storming past their table.

"Oh, shit..." Rose whispers quietly.

Cora can see the fresh tears glistening in her eyes, the red, puffy circles around them. When she looks back at Karl, he's still standing where she left him. He looks utterly lost.

-

[𝟷𝟶.𝟸.𝟸𝟸]