⁰¹¹ ᴛʜᴇ ʙɪɢ ғɪɢʜᴛ.

𝟶𝟷𝟷. [𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚋𝚒𝚐 𝚏𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝.]

𝚌𝚘𝚕𝚎𝚝𝚝𝚎 𝚟𝚎𝚕𝚊𝚛𝚍𝚒

-

Colette feels like vomiting is an appropriate response to their list. Cole would've (and probably should've) given up on that 20 bucks right there and then — kissing Wilbur wouldn't be worth a thousand — but Cole's infamous for being hard-headed. And they'd be damned if they were to give up.

During freshman year, Wil and Cole were practically inseparable. Wherever one was, the other was never far behind. But sometime over the summer before sophomore year, they split.

Cole hasn't spoken a word to him since.

Maybe it's for the better. After they stopped talking, Cole turned to a darker friend group, opting for cigs and blunts rather than target runs and movie marathons. And Wilbur? Wilbur edged towards popularity, befriending Karl and Techno.

But the fucking 20 bucks that Cole would lose...

That's how Cole finds themself chasing down Wilbur after health class, stopping him in the middle of the hallway.

"Hey, uh, can we talk?"

Wilbur stares at them like they just grew a second head. "Just talk, I swear," Cole pleads.

"Um, I guess?" Wilbur scratches his head. "You wanna find a classroom?" Cole can feel their heart beating fast in their chest as they walk into an empty classroom. They can't mess this up.

"Look," They say, trying to sound appeasing, "I know we haven't talked since... well, you know," Wilbur gives them a very pointed look, arms crossed over his chest defensively. "I just want another chance, okay?" Cole explains, trying hard to get Wil to see their point.

"I mean, don't you remember how it used to be? How close we were?" Wilbur looks skeptical like he knows Cole's just trying to get something out of him. It makes Cole squirm under his gaze.

"I do," Wilbur says sharply. Cole knows at that moment that Wil's not taking one bit of their bullshit. "And I remember why it ended. Some things just don't heal with time, Cole."

Cole wants to die. They should've known Wil wasn't going to forgive them that easily.

"Wil!" They protest.

"No," Wilbur says, turning to leave the dim classroom. "And don't call me that."

Shit, Cole thinks, They totally fucked that up.

-

Cole's on the way to fourth period when they get slammed into the lockers. At first, they think it's an accident, but then look up and see Wilbur pinning them to the wall.

Well, fuck.

Cole's gasping for breath, having the wind knocked out of them, heart pounding.

"And here I thought you'd finally come to your senses," Wilbur spits. Great. Now Cole's confused too.

"What the hell are you talking about?" Cole says, wiggling in Wilbur's grip uncomfortably. Someone's noticed them now, whipping out their phone to record, probably hoping for a fight. Cole's really hoping it doesn't come to that.

"I thought," Wilbur continues, "that you realized why we had that fight, that it was your fault, not mine, that broke us," People are gathering now, phones out, a circle swallowing the hallway in a ring around them. "My bad for thinking you matured," Wilbur says, laughing hollowly.

A pit is quickly growing in Cole's stomach.

"I am not some pawn in your little game," Wilbur says, getting all up in Cole's face. "I am not just some dare, yeah?" Wilbur exhales with a small laugh, though he doesn't seem very amused. "Grow up," Wilbur sniffs, pulling his fist back and punching it straight into Cole's nose.

A crack rings out through the hallway and the crowd gasps.

"Jesus fuck!" Cole cries as Wilbur drops him against the locker. "What the fuck Wilbur?"

"No, fuck you and your stupid list!" Wilbur yells, flipping Cole off from behind him as he pushes through the crowd.

Cole groans in pain, cupping their nose.

Well, that went well.

-

[𝟷𝟷.𝟸𝟽.𝟸𝟸]