⁰²³ ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴇᴡ ғʀɪᴇɴᴅsʜɪᴘ

𝟶𝟸𝟹. [𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚗𝚎𝚠 𝚏𝚛𝚒𝚎𝚗𝚍𝚜𝚑𝚒𝚙]

𝚌𝚘𝚕𝚎𝚝𝚝𝚎 𝚟𝚎𝚕𝚊𝚛𝚍𝚒

-

Cole is standing off to the side awkwardly, completely out of his element, when Rose makes eye contact with him.

Their smile spreads across their face and turns into a full-blown grin and Cole takes a sip of his drink to hide the matching expression threatening to creep over his face. He doesn't look away though.

They brush their silky red hair out of their face and lean in to whisper something to Cora. Then they start to make their way over and Cole nearly trips over himself when he realizes.

Once upon a time, he was actually pretty close with them. Sure, it was middle school, before cigarettes and things that actually mattered, but still. Cole still finds himself missing them every once and a while. They always stayed kind of friends, exchanging soft smiles and waves in the hallways, but never much more than that.

"Hi," Rose says, managing to somehow look cheery and shy all at once. Their dress is a stunning emerald green and it only highlights the strawberry color of their cheeks. Rose is pretty now, Cole realizes with a start.

"Hey," He offers, shuffling his suit awkwardly and wondering why he's so horrible at social situations like this.

Rose, however, seems undeterred. "Y'know, I was kinda surprised to see you here. You don't really seem like the school dance type,"

He scoffs jokingly, "Whatcha trying to say?"

Rose blushes pink. "Just that you don't seem like the suit type," They comment.

Cole taps his shoe on the floor out of habit. "I'm not," He pauses, lost in thought for a moment. "Just trying something new, I guess,"

She grins, "New is good."

"Uh, I'm gonna go grab some food, if you, uh, well-" He stutters, pointing a thumb towards the dining area.

"Mind if I come with?" She asks, somehow managing to make a smirk look bashful.

He holds back a grin. "Of course," Jesus, Rose makes him soft.

She claps her hands excitedly, all sunshine and smiles. Maybe soft is good. 

-

[𝟶𝟻.𝟸𝟶.𝟸𝟹]