⁰¹⁷ ᴛʜᴇ ɢᴏssɪᴘ.

𝟶𝟷𝟽. [𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚐𝚘𝚜𝚜𝚒𝚙.]

𝚌𝚘𝚕𝚎𝚝𝚝𝚎 𝚟𝚎𝚕𝚊𝚛𝚍𝚒

-

This is Cole's favorite place. The diner, late at night, dim headlights whooshing by out the window, the sound of tires flying through puddles of melted snow. Iris just got off her shift, and the whole group is squeezed into a vinyl booth, talking over the quiet clink of dishes and hushed conversations of the other customers. Steaming mozzarella sticks and strawberry milkshakes taste like home, in a way.

The only other people who come here this late are older people, which means they can gossip as loudly as they please.

"So, Flora," Cole starts, leaning a little across the table. "What's the deal with lover boy?" Whenever gossip goes dry, Karl gets brought up. If nothing else, he's never a boring topic. There's always something going on with the bastard.

"Yeah, he hasn't been around lately," Cam adds, popping a fry in their mouth.

Flora grimaces. "Remember how we got in that fight right when we got back from break?" Most of the table nods.

Iris buts in. "But you guys were good right? Not back together, but.."

Flora rolls her eyes. "Yeah. I just can't deal with him anymore," She says, throwing her hands up in the air.

"What was that fight even about?" Cole prods, stirring his milkshake.

Flora sighs. "He kept canceling on me for stupid shit. Every time he would say how much he loved me but he could never make fucking time for me. Hell, he's trying to win me back now and he still can't."

"Aw, Flor," Iris says apologetically, wrapping an arm around her shoulder and squeezing.

"It's whatever," She rolls her eyes. "I'm done with him. Especially now with Wilbur back in the picture," Iris giggles at that and makes a joke, but Cole doesn't even hear. He's too busy balling his fists up under the table and clenching his jaw.

"I saw him walking you back from the library the other day too-" Cam starts.

Cole cuts them off abruptly. "I have to use the bathroom." He says, and storms off through the back.

He doesn't miss the looks that the group exchange when he stands up, either.

-

[𝟶𝟷.𝟶𝟽.𝟸𝟹]