⁰¹² ᴛʜᴇ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛʙʀᴇᴀᴋ.

𝟶𝟷𝟸. [𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚑𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚝𝚋𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚔.]

𝚌𝚊𝚖𝚎𝚛𝚘𝚗 𝚋𝚕𝚊𝚔𝚎

-

"Cam," Dream is saying — no, pleading — like he's the one coming out of this heartbroken, though by his tone they both know he's not. "You know I love you, I really do," He continues.

Cam wants to shrivel up into a hole and die.

"Dream, please, you don't need to-" They try to stop him but he ignores them, on a roll.

"And I know I flirt with you a lot," Cam needs him to get this over with so they can go kill themselves now. "But I flirt with everyone and it's a really bad habit because I feel like kind of a player and-"

"Dream!" Cam cuts him off, needing him to get to the point.

"Right! Yeah, sorry. It's just, um, I don't really think of you that way, which I know totally sucks and I'm really sorry, but we should totally still be friends but-" It's like it all rushes out of him, looking uncharacteristically awkward and nervous.

Cam nods. They smile sympathetically, understanding rooted deep in their expression. "I know, Iris, it's okay,"

"IRIS?!" Dream looks horrified, pushing Cam away, obviously disgusted.

Cam laughs loudly and shrugs, "Hey, I'm just saying,"

Dream makes a face. "Disgusting. I'd rather die,"

"Mhm," Cam grins knowingly. "Keep telling yourself that,"

-

"Hm," Flora says, scanning the menu. "What's your special?" She asks a very annoyed-looking Iris.

"Your mom," She responds flatly, pen hovering over the pad of paper she uses to take orders.

"My mom left," Flora says pointedly, and Cole giggles.

Iris gives her a poisonous smile. "That explains a lot. Four milkshakes, one chocolate, one vanilla, two strawberry?" She scribbles the flavors down.

"Why four?" Cam speaks up, there are only three of them in the diner.

"My breaks in 5 minutes, figured you'd let me join your little gossip sesh,"

Flora snorts. "Of course, you can," Iris disappears through the kitchen doors and Cole turns to Cam.

"So what's up with you? You've been moping all day long," Cole looks around, then leans in and whispers into Cam's ear, "Did you quit nic again or something?"

"No, you idiot!" Cam swats Cole on the top of the head. "Dream rejected me,"

Flora looks sympathetic, but Cole just shrugs. "So? He's a dickhead, I've been saying it for years,"

"Amen," Iris agrees, sliding into the booth next to Cole with the milkshakes.

"Just fuck his best friend or something," Flora suggests, popping a fry in her mouth.

Cam makes a face. "Karl?" She asks, confused, and Flora nearly chokes on her fry. Iris pats her on the back, burping her like a baby while she coughs.

When she's done, Cole speaks. "George, you moron. You flirt with him all the time," Iris laughs. "You guys are like in love or something but both of you deny it, it's so funny,"

"It is not," Cam blushes a furious red. "And we are not,"

"Uh-huh."

Cam shakes their head and sips their milkshake silently.

-

[𝟷𝟸.𝟸.𝟸𝟸]