⁰⁰⁷ ᴛʜᴇ ʜɪsᴛᴏʀʏ ᴘʀᴏᴊᴇᴄᴛ.

𝟶𝟶𝟽. [𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚑𝚒𝚜𝚝𝚘𝚛𝚢 𝚙𝚛𝚘𝚓𝚎𝚌𝚝.]

𝚛𝚘𝚜𝚎𝚖𝚊𝚛𝚢 𝚊𝚞𝚋𝚞𝚛𝚗.

-

If we're being completely honest, Rosemary's had a thing for Dream since she first met him. He's the guy that sat a few seats in front of her in sophomore year geometry, the guy with the wheezing laugh, the sun-kissed freckles, the rowdy friends. Rose has no clue how they're supposed to kiss him without making a fool of themself.

Their teacher clears her throat from beside Rose's desk and they snap out of their daydream quickly.

"Since you're too starstruck by Mr. WasTaken to find yourself a partner, I guess I'll have to do it for you, hm?" Rose goes pink. The teacher's voice jumps in volume, "Dream! Would you mind working with Rosemary? They dozed off while we were supposed to pick partners," Rose goes pinker.

"Oh, uh, yeah, sure," He says, sending a lopsided grin over to Rosemary. They're past pink now, they've gone red.

He slides into the seat next to them smoothly, pushing it so the desks are touching. "Starstruck, huh?" He grins. They've never blushed so hard in their life.

"Maybe," They say shyly, the light of a smile creeping past their lips. He leans over, starting to sketch out the project on their desk, his shoulder brushing against theirs. They feel like they're going to faint.

The teacher walks away, dropping a subtle wink to Rose.

The class period goes by quicker than Rose would've expected, quickly warming up to being so close to their long-time hallway crush. The two get along surprisingly well, for the quiet queer kid and the charming jock. Maybe it's because Rose is so inclined to make him like her (only partly for the list), or maybe because Dream's seen them looking at him in class, snapping their head in the other direction and going pink when he catches them and waves.

Regardless of the reason, Rose finds themself typing their Snapchat username into the search bar of Dream's phone when the bell rings, a promise of a study session that night intertwined into a pinky promise.

"I'm baking, so don't be late or I'll eat it all," Rose grins, slipping their laptop into their backpack.

"Dessert? No way in hell I'll be late, I promise," His pinky sticks out to them like an invitation. They giggle.

"Are pinky promises going to be our thing?"

"Maybe."

-

"What took you so long?" Cora hisses the second they step out of the classroom. "I almost left without you,"

Rose feigns hurt, throwing a hand dramatically across their chest with a gasp. "The horror!"

Cora rolls her eyes and shoves them lightly.

"Hey, what's the deal with them?" Rose asks, nodding to Karl and Flora as they pass them in the hall. They're not being as touchy-clingy as usual, but considering their last public fight, the fact that the two are even talking — let alone laughing together in between classes — is shocking.

Cora shrugs. "I dunno. Must've talked it out or something," Rose doesn't comment on how sad she looks, just hands their friend the rest of their peanut M&M's wordlessly.

-

Rose's cookbook is already flipped open to the right page, flour spilled all over the counter from when they were collecting ingredients when their phone dings.

Dream sent a chat [4:12 pm]

They wipe the spare flour off of their hands hastily, clicking on the message.

Dream

Im headed to the gym rn, ill be over in an hour and a half?

Rose

perfect!

Their phone chimes again, later, as the alarm for the cookies goes off. They slide the cookies onto the cooling tray quickly and rush to their phone. This time he sent a snap.

They open and nearly faint.

It's a mirror pic, taken in his gym. He's wearing a black wifebeater and gym shorts and his hair is nearly dripping with sweat. He's flexing his biceps with a dumb smirk — he knows he's hot.

Rose wants a screenshot. Wants to save it in chat. They suffice for a replay, taking another moment to memorize the picture before opening the camera.

They tug the sleeve of their hoodie over their hand, attempting to hide some of their blush before sending a snap back.

-

"You made cookies?" He says the second he walks in, the fresh baked smell hitting him like a wall as soon as the door opened.

"Chocolate chip," Rose clarifies. "Didn't know what you liked so I went with a safe option,"

He grins. "Sick, how many can I have?" He grabs one off of the tray, popping the entire cookie in his mouth.

Rose makes a face. "As many as you want, but you can't eat them like that,"

"What's wron wit heating dem like dis?" He says with a grin, mouth stuffed full of cookie. Rose giggles and rolls their eyes, leading him into their bedroom. Dream snags a few more before following.

The sun's just setting as they work on their project, Dream perched on the end of their bed, bathed in the light of the golden hour. Rose would be a liar if they said that they don't catch themselves staring a few times, mind drifting away from history, instead their eyes locked on the color of his eyes, the curve of his lips.

He knows they're staring, even if they don't know he does. Everyone once and a while, he looks up and cracks a joke, just to watch Rose throw their head back and laugh, covering their snorts with their hand — because they're just that pretty.

-

[𝟷𝟶.𝟸𝟹.𝟸𝟸]