⁰³¹ ᴛʜᴇ ᴛʀᴜᴛʜ.

𝟶𝟹𝟷. [𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚝𝚛𝚞𝚝𝚑.]

𝚛𝚘𝚜𝚎𝚖𝚊𝚛𝚢 𝚊𝚞𝚋𝚋𝚞𝚛𝚗

-

"I just don't get it," Rose sighs, frustrated with the spread of AP Bio notes in front of her.

Her mind refuses to cooperate, begging for her to focus on anything other than studying—the vinyl chipping off the seat covers or the subtle clink of dishes in the background. Cora looks similarly distracted, eyes wandering the diner instead of the worksheet on the table between them.

"I've been thinking," Cora starts, finally voicing the thoughts Rose knows have been echoing around in her head for the past half hour. They lean forward, grateful for the welcome distraction. "And I don't think Karl's over Flora,"

Rose nods understandingly.

"I mean, it makes sense right? They were together for, well, forever," Cora muses over it for a second. "I just feel like I might be a rebound," she says decidedly. Privately, Rose agrees. Flora and Karl's relationship was so intense and long that there was no chance that he would move on within weeks.

But still, Cora's her best friend, and she's asking for Rose's thoughts. She hums, then: "I dunno, he seems pretty smitten with you. Besides, Flora's moved on to Wilbur — if she can, so can he,"

Cora nods like she believes it, but Rose isn't sure she buys it herself — about Karl or Flora. She's not close with Flora or anything, but you'd have to be blind to miss the bittersweet looks she sends him when she thinks no one is watching.

Iris approaches their table with a plate of fries and a grim look.

"I know it's not my place or anything, but I've known Karl half my life and..." She pauses and sets down the dish, almost like she's considering whether it's worth it to continue. "I just don't know how true that is,"

Cora and Rose exchange a look. 

-

[𝟷𝟸.𝟸𝟻.𝟸𝟹]