⁰²⁸ ᴛʜᴇ ᴀɴɴᴏʏɪɴɢ ᴄᴜsᴛᴏᴍᴇʀ

𝟶𝟸𝟾. [𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚘𝚢𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚌𝚞𝚜𝚝𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚛.]

[𝚒𝚛𝚒𝚜 𝚛𝚘𝚍𝚐𝚎𝚛𝚜]

-

The bell chimes for the first time in a while, interrupting the peace that usually comes with the Sunday pre-lunch lull in customers. The diner's been strangely empty lately, ever since Scottie's Drive-In and Dine reopened across the street. As the door swings open, Iris looks up from behind the counter and her face hardens like stone.

"One of these days I'm going to get you filed for harassment," She warns, barely glancing his way as she finishes mopping behind the counter.

"Why? I can't come to my favorite diner to enjoy a good sandwich?" Dream grins and bats his eyelashes. He slides onto one of the stools at the counter, coincidentally the one closest to Iris.

"Weirdo." She rolls her eyes. "What kind of sandwich?" she asks, whipping out a pen and her notepad.

"Turkey club with fries and a coke, pretty please," He replies, biting his lip mockingly. She shoots him a glare and disappears through the kitchen doors for a moment. Dream taps his finger against the counter while he waits for her to come back.

She leans in, using her elbows to prop herself up on the granite. "So," She starts, tone shushed. Part of her knows she's going to regret this conversation, but she pushes through with it anyway. "How much would I need to pay you for a kiss?"

Dream goes beet-red in seconds, spluttering. She has to cover her mouth from laughing out loud at his reaction.

"Chill," She smacks his arm. "I don't actually want one,"

He scoffs, almost defensively. "Then why would you ask?"

She giggles. "Don't sound so offended. It's for a dare," She watches the moment it clicks, his face lighting up in recognition, and her heart drops for a moment.

"The Kiss List, of course," He laughs. "You got me? Damn, that sucks for you," He sips his coke loudly, clearly amused by her situation.

Iris rolls her eyes. "Great, you've heard of it." She stares at him expectantly.

He avoids looking at her, pointedly looking anywhere but her in the diner. He clearly is amusing himself, unable to hide his overly gleeful grin. Iris sighs. "Can we please just get this over with?"

Finally, he looks at her, feigning confusion. If it weren't for the mischievous sparkle in his eye, Iris might've believed him. "Sorry, what are we doing?" She huffs and holds herself back from slapping him.

"Can you just kiss me?" she asks, aggravated. Before he can continue to tease her, the cook yells for her, and she has to duck into the back to grab his food. The plate clangs on the counter in front of him, Iris frowning.

Dream makes a face. "Service with a smile?" He suggests.

She glares at him. "You are so annoying,"

He tsks and shakes his head. "Not how I'd talk to someone if I wanted to get a kiss from them," He takes a bite of his sandwich and nods, mouth obnoxiously full. "Compliments to the chef," he says, giving a thumbs up.