⁰²⁴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴜɴɴᴇᴄᴇssᴀʀʏ ᴅʀᴀᴍᴀ

𝟶𝟸𝟺. [𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚞𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚌𝚎𝚜𝚜𝚊𝚛𝚢 𝚍𝚛𝚊𝚖𝚊.]

𝚌𝚊𝚖𝚎𝚛𝚘𝚗 𝚋𝚕𝚊𝚔𝚎

-

In Cam's defense, it wasn't on purpose. They didn't mean for it to be a secret relationship. At first, Cam didn't want to tell Flora he asked her out because they knew she would flip out and make it into a whole big deal. And then... well, they just never got around to breaking the news to her.

They realize how big of a mistake that was when George and Cam sit down at the table hand-in-hand. They watch Flora's eyes flash with recognition, flicking between their intertwined hands and the corsage on Cam's wrist. Fuck, Cam's really counting on Flora not overreacting.

"What the fuck?!" She mouths over the music, and Cam feels their heart drop into their stomach as Flora very pointedly announces she's going outside for a breather. So much for that. Cam takes the hint and follows her, like a puppy who knows it's about to be scolded.

The night chill stings at Cam's exposed skin, iciness akin to the glare that Flora meets her with. "You guys look cute," she says bitterly.

"Flora-" They can still feel the pump of the bass from the dance floor and there's a group of sophomores huddled a few yards away, most likely passing a cart around the circle.

She huffs. "How long have you been keeping this from me?" She crosses her arms over her chest. "I mean, his tie matches your dress pretty perfectly so a while, yeah?" Her tone is dripping with a mocking, sarcastic poison.

"We didn't tell anyone! This was supposed to be our little announcement, Flor. You can't seriously be upset about this!" Cam defends, folding their arms across their chest.

"I was supposed to be your wingwoman, Cam. You would've never happened without me," She spits.

"It was an accident!" Cam cries, crossing their arms over their chest. They glance over to the sophomore huddle, wondering in a moment of desperation if they'd give Cam a hit or two, they're gonna need it to deal with all of Flora's bullshit.

Her eyes narrow. "Jesus, Cam. Give up. You accidentally kept your relationship a secret from your best friend?" Cam closes their mouth with a huff. "Should I even call myself that anymore?"

"Oh my GOD!" Cam snaps, throwing their hands up. "It's my relationship, Flora. You're overreacting. Just because you have a shitty love life doesn't mean you get to own mine!"

Flora winces and takes a step back. "Fine." She replies, clipped and emotionless.

Cam groans and pushes past her. They sigh, running a hand down their face. Maybe that last line was a little too mean. Whatever. There's still a party after the dance to look forward to.

-

Cam can't get the fight out of their head. They don't know if George can tell something's off, but either way he doesn't say anything.

They had hoped setting up would distract them, but their mind only spirals — especially at the thought of tonight, and if Flora would still show up.

The worry only washes away once Cam clinks glasses with Iris, downing the beer she brought over as the first guests start to trickle in.

Cam loves throwing parties, and the only person that's hosted more than them is, coincidentally, George. So, when word got out that they were both co-hosting an afterparty for the dance, everyone decided to show up.

They think they spot Flora in the crowd at one point, but their vision has gotten hazy enough that it's debatable. They shrug it off and opt for another shot. 

-

[𝟶𝟻.𝟸𝟺.𝟸𝟹]