⁰¹⁸ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅɪɴᴇʀ

𝟶𝟷𝟾. [𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚍𝚒𝚗𝚎𝚛.]

𝚌𝚊𝚖𝚎𝚛𝚘𝚗 𝚋𝚕𝚊𝚔𝚎

-

Cam loves these days, the days when a couple of the lunch tables dash out the back door of the cafeteria and go to the diner for lunch. Today it's the normal crew, plus George, Dream, and Sapnap. Iris's manager lets her work these times, only half an hour, but everybody always dumps cash into her tip jar before they rush back for the next period so she still makes decent pay.

Her apron is tied messily over her school outfit, hair pulled back from her face as she bickers with Dream over the new (raised) price of an order of fries.

"Fine," He says, and Cam thinks maybe he'll finally just pay full price, but he's not done talking. "Beat me in a loop around the block and I'll do it, you can have Sap's bike,"

"Hey!" Sapnap protests, but Iris is already checking behind her to make sure her manager's not watching before the two sprint out the front door and hop on to the bicycles. Cam rolls her eyes.

Flora looks over at Cam, who's unintentionally turned away from the window and is now looking at George, and raises an eyebrow. She mouths "go for it" and then turns to Sapnap. Cam's eyes widen and they try shaking their head but Flora's mind is set on it.

"I need a refill on my milkshake, wanna come with?" She says pointedly, giving Cam a look as Sapnap stands and they leave George and Cam alone at the table.

Cam sighs, stirring their milkshake and staring at their math homework, brows furrowed. Trig isn't what's frustrating them though. It's George. They've thought about what Cole and Flora said, and they really would like to go out with him, they just don't know how to ask.

They sit in the booth in silence for a moment, then George blurts out, "Go to dinner with me,"

Cam blinks. Well, that was easy.

"What?" They respond, surprised.

George goes bright red. "Oh my God, forget I said that. I didn't even mean to say it, it just slipped out, shit, sorry," He says quickly.

"George," Cam starts.

He looks up, biting his lip.

"Of course I'll go out with you, chill. Are you free Saturday?"

He visibly relaxes into the booth. "It's a date," He smiles.

Cam bites their cheek, watching George sip his Pepsi.

But then Iris and Dream crash through the front doors, Iris whooping loudly, "I WON, I WON, HAHA BITCH," And the moment's ruined.

Dream does actually end up paying full price, though he does mumble something about Iris being a cheater as he hands her the cash. When Flora and Sapnap come back, she looks at Cam expectantly, and Cam shakes their head a bit. For some reason, they wanna keep this one a secret.

George does initiate an unspoken game of footsies, which has them both holding back laughter from the others until Dream asks what's going on and Flora gives them both a suspicious look.

-

The week nearly flies by, and then it's Saturday, and the two are sharing a booth in the diner. Cam determines it's awful by the first ten minutes. The two are so awkward. George will barely look at them, and suddenly Cam can't think of a single thing to say.

It's all silence and the crunch of chips.

It's horrible.

Cam starts, "So, um-"

At the same time George says, "How's uh-"

They both stop and just look at each other until Cam finally breaks.

"Dude, we suck at this." Maybe their first date being at their friend group's biggest hang out spot was a bad idea.

George's face falls. "Huh?"

"I've known you since we were six, why are we so goddamn awkward?" Cam explains, throwing their hands up in the air in exasperation. "This really shouldn't be that hard,"

George swallows and pauses, like he wants to say something, but he's not quite sure he should.

They sigh. "Just say it, can't be worse than the silence,"

He smiles apologetically and Cam kind of feels bad. They didn't mean to make it sound like the awkwardness was his fault.

"Wanna get out of here?" George offers, pushing his food to the side.

Cam grins, nodding eagerly.

It's pouring as they dash through the parking lot to get to George's car. They race across the pavement, laughing and shrieking as they splash through the puddles, covering their heads with their hands.

It finally feels right, like George and Cam, without the weirdness between them.

When they finally reach the car, they slam the doors and slump into their seats. George laughs. "Parking the car on the opposite side of the lot was not my smartest idea," He admits.

"No shit," Cam agrees, still catching their breath.

He grins, and they return with a lovesick smile. "So?" He says. "Where to next?"

-

[𝟶𝟷.𝟷𝟺.𝟸𝟹]