Chapter 17

I climbed into the SUV and Avery and Jameson were already inside but Avery was sitting in the front passenger seat this time. I sat down on the very edge of the SUV and Jameson was as well. They were talking about the letters again. Then Jameson looked at me.

"Do you have a letter?" he asked

"Maybe"

"Can we see it?"

"Only if I get to see yours and Avery's first."

They gave me the letters. 

Dearest Avery,

I'm sorry.

T.T.H.

Jameson,

Better the devil you know than the one you don't-- or is it? Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. All that glitters is not gold. Nothing is certain but death and taxes There but for the grace of God go I.

Don't judge.

--Tobias Tattersall Hawthorne

"What does he mean?"

"Show us yours"

"Ok"

I handed my letter to them. I thought about the letter in my head.

Dearest Amber,

You are a bigger mystery than your sister. Old I get with regrets. Undercover. Remember your past. For everything now I'm sorry. Always know your roots. They will help you. Hawthorne or not we are strong. Everything will make sense. Regardless of the situation think about the future.

T.H.

I thought about Avery and Jameson's letter. That was when I noticed that he didn't sign my letter with a middle name.

"He didn't sign mine with a middle name but he signed yours with one"

"You're right... But why?" My sister asked.

"I knew the old man. This is his way of inviting us into the mystery." Jameson said studying the paper. He looked up and stared at me with his emerald green eyes. "Did you show anyone else?"

"Yeah."

"It was one of my brothers, wasn't it? Not Nash. Maybe Xander? No not Xander. You showed Grayson didn't you."

I nodded. "He was asking questions and I thought that the only way to shut him up was to show him the letter."

Oren parked in front of the school gates and Avery left the car first. I reached for the handle, but before I did I needed to ask Jameson something.

"Was it you?"

"What do you mean?"

"Was it you? Watching us?"

"If it was would you be mad?"

"No. I would just want to know why."

"I'll tell you later."

He stepped out of the car and so did I. I went to my lessons and made sure not to talk to anyone. I was walking to class when I saw Avery talking to the girl I met in the tunnels. Rebecca.

I headed to dance. It was hard but I could do it. All the other girls were perfect. I wasn't. I told myself I would practice at home. I had a sick feeling in my stomach as I remembered everything that I had left behind in Connecticut. I had always dreamed of graduating with those I loved and those I hated.

Dance was over and I headed to science and found Jameson in the room. He looked at me and I rolled my eyes. I took a seat in the back and so did he.

"What are you doing here?"

"It's my class as well"

"Okay, Whatever."

"You're thinking about something"

"Yeah and everyone is thinking about something right now"

"You told my sister not to cozy up to you but what about me?"

"Your sister has made many public appearances and you haven't"

"And?"

"Not everyone knows that there are two heiresses."

My eyes widened as I heard what he said.

"But doesn't everyone at school know?"

"Not everyone. Some people think you are just a friend. After all, you don't look anything like your sister."

What he said shook me he was right, we shared the same mother and father yet I had dirty blonde hair with blue eyes and Avery had ash-brown hair with greenish-brown eyes. I was shorter than Avery but I hadn't grown for a few years so I was expecting a growth spurt soon.

"You're right. So I can use it to my advantage."

"That isn't what I meant but I am intrigued do go on"

"I can continue being her 'friend' so that I 'fit' in here"

"How can I help?"

"I don't know. Be a friend?"

He tried not to show it but I saw it in his eyes. I had hurt him by calling him a friend. But he smiled. Class started. It was difficult and she talked about how we have to choose what branch of science we want to continue learning after the end of the half-term. Unliked my school in Connecticut this school had half-terms like the ones I had learned about in Britain. They were short around 4 or 5 days but it left you with a whole week of no school.