Chapter 31

I flopped onto the couch of Xander's lab and told him everything that Ricky Grambs had said to me.

"Why did you go to your father? What about the birth certificate?"

"Alisa can't find it. It's been a few days. I needed to talk to him"

"Who did you need to talk to?" Jameson walked in.

"Why do you keep coming here?" Xander said.

"Because I can"

"Well, then I forbid you to come in here."

"Why. Sharing secrets? Because I have one we only have one clue left before solving the puzzle"

"That's great. But have you ever thought that we might already have the answer?" I asked

"The game would be over" 

"Would it be, Jamie?" Xander added "Maybe it doesn't lead to the end of the game. Maybe we are on the second part"

Jameson rolled his eyes. "I doubt that. So who did you talk to Amber?" 

"A friend of mine"

"NEW RULE!!! No Jamesons allowed in my lab for today."

"That isn't very nice now is it?"

"Just go out. And play the game with my sister. Or whatever you guys do. Bye" I waved at him and he left the room "Is your brother always like this?"

"No. He started acting like this ever since you and your sister arrived."

"Well I wonder why"

"So tell me if you would visit a friend who would it be?"

"Me? I would visit Harry."

"Who is he? Why not Rosie?"

"My sister would play chess in the park with him he would call her his princess and all these other names. He would call me his queen even though I was younger than my sister. I was his queen. I always tagged along because he wanted to see me. He says it was because my sister talked a lot about me. We should head for dinner."

Avery forced me to eat more for dinner and I headed for my bedroom and I took my medication. I fell asleep thinking about what Ricky had said. Was I not his? Was he messing with me? Did he not want to believe I was his? Did he even care?

I woke up and got ready for my day and then Alisa came into the room. "You and your sister are going to go to the stylist for a charity event tonight."

"What? I am still tired and weak"

"You still have to go. Do you have a date?"

"No. Why do I need one?"

"Of course, it is your first public appearance. Your sister has already made a few."

"I don't want to go out into public I want to be in the shadows. People don't need to know there are two heiresses"

"Your sister is counting on you."

"Fine I will go for Avery"

"Find a date will you?" I no longer had a boyfriend but I have a best friend and two boys that I may or may not like.

I went for breakfast but first I stopped at Xander's lab.

"Hi, Xander. Just wondering do you have a date to the ball cause apparently I need one"

"No, not yet you should wait until you have to leave for the stylist before you decide. But I will be here"

"Why do I have to wait?"

"I have a feeling someone might ask you."

"See you at breakfast" I ran down the stairs and I felt like tripping but I didn't because someone touched my shoulder. I jerked my head around in shock. It was just Nash. "You scared me"

"You were going too fast. You might have tripped"

"Okay whatever"

I helped Mrs. Laughlin with the plates and brought them to the table I didn't do anything crazy. I just carried them two at a time. It took longer than usual but it was expected. I sat down and ate. Got a few stares and ate more. "Happy?" I asked everyone at the table before leaving. 

Avery followed me into the kitchen and we saw the mass amount of cupcakes. How did I not notice them after walking in and out? "Libby!" We screamed and ran to her.

"Libby, why are there cupcakes?"

"I was trying a new recipe."

"Just tell us what happened"

"You might not like me saying this thought Amber" That got Jameson and Grayson to look up even Xander looked.

"Just say it."

"Dad said that Avery should be more like Amber. Checking in on him and talking. He said he enjoyed your conversation with him"

"I hate him so much. Who the f*** does he think he is?"I shouted and walked away. The Hawthornes seemed to be enjoying the show. Avery caught up to me.

"You went to talk to him?! I told you not to!"

"I had no choice."

"You had a choice"

"I really don't you wouldn't understand."

"Then help me understand"

"I can't. I'm sorry for walking off when you mentioned mum the other day. I thought that you meant something else." I walked up the staircase with my hand on the banister.