Chapter 29

I got onto my feet once Avery and Jameson left but I was still weak. I had a black eye and my nose was swollen but I was ok now and safe. I thought about how Xander was doing and decided to visit him. I got changed and I didn't have enough energy to do my makeup so I left my room without doing it and walked slowly and carefully towards his 'labratory'. I saw Xander tinkering with a machine.

"Hi Xander" He looked behind himself and saw me there.

"Hi Amber. Are you feeling ok? You're not going to pass out again are you?"

"No don't worry. I'm sorry if I scared you"

"Me scared? Never." I smiled at him and he smiled back. I walked towards the machine he was tinkering on.

"Is that the robot?"

"Yeah. I managed to track down the database that it was sending the footage to and the footage."

"Was there anything?"

"No when you heard it knocking it had just started running the program and it seems that there was a technical glitch that caused it to knock on your cupboard."

"And the database?"

"Not really a database."

"What do you mean?"

"Yeah what do you mean?" I looked at the doorway and I saw Jameson standing there.

"What I mean is that it was sending the footage to the home server."

"So it was an inside job?"

"It makes sense your ex was in on it."

"I still can't believe it. Why did he do what he did?"

"Can he build robots?"

"He went to a tech camp once but he couldn't learn that much from a week."

"But he could still build one he doesn't have to program it."

"He arrived after I found it. Unless..."

"Unless what, cousin?"

"Unless he was already in Texas."

"We better head for lunch." I nodded and walked but Jameson decided that I needed help. He grabbed my legs and carried me in his arms.

"Seriously?" He smirked followed by a wicked grin.

"Why? Don't you enjoy it?"

"I'm not a baby."

"I know." He carried me to the dining room and set me down in my chair next to Libby. Heads turned towards us so I decided to stick y tongue out at him. It was childish but I didn't want people thinking we were together. But as he walked away he stuck his tongue at me with a smirk. 

I served myself a single sandwich again and my sisters eyes stared at my plate then at me. 

"Yeesh. Ok fine. I'll eat two. Happy?"

"We're just worried"

"About me? You don't have to I am a perfectly normal human and besides the person we should be worried about here is you Avery."

"Me?"

"You were shot at that is worse that poison."

"At least I wasn't shot"

"I didn't die"

"You went to the hospital."

"You... got stitches"

"I didn't want you to be mum." That flipped a switch in me and I left the table and walked off. How dare she mention mum. Or did she mean she didn't want to lose me the same way she lost mum? I felt guilty for walking off after she said that but I didn't need her to remind me about mum. I called Alisa.

Amber: Alisa?

Alisa: Can I help you?

Amber: Did you find my files?

Alisa: Not yet they seem to be lost but we will find them it may take some time.

Amber: And my father?

Alisa: You are meeting him at 3:00. Don't tell Oren that you are meeting with your father tell him it is a friend of yours. Or else you will never talk to him.

Amber: Ok. Will you be there?

Alisa: I will go and fetch you when you are needed. So get ready. 

She hung up the phone so I went to put my make-up on. Once I was done I started coming up with the perfect cover story so that Avery doesn't find out she would kill me if she did. I heard rapping at the cupboard.

"Come in" Jameson climbed out of the cupboard. "Will you ever use the door?"

"Maybe but then I would be boring"

"Did you need something?"

"What were you calling Alisa about?"

"I didn't call Alisa" He stared at me with his wide green eyes. "Fine I did it was about damage control."

"Do you relly think I believe that?"

"You could?"

"Tell me the truth"

"Nope, the only person that gets to know is Xander"

"Why Xander?"

"Because we are playing a game together"

"I thought you weren't playing"

"I am not playing this game. But hasn't it come to you? That there might be a different game?"

"Why did you leave the table?"

"Because I can. I advise that you leave now before I call in Oren."

"Fine I'll leave" He saluted as he crawled into the cupboard. The clock turned two and there was knocking on the door.

"Come in"

"Are you ready to leave to meet your friend?"

"Of course." I eyed the hole in the cupboard just in case someone was watching. I walked towards the front door and Avery ran up to me.

"Where do you think you're going?"

"I am going to go see a friend. You don't have to know which one. Oren has already cleared her"

"Be careful"  

It was the first day of grade 4. I was walking to school alone for the first time. What do you do before crossing the road? You check both ways and wait if a car is coming. How do you make sure the car sees you? You put your hand up. And if a stranger talks to you? Don't respond. If someone tries to give you candy? Kindly decline and scream. Thats my girl. Bye mummy. Bye Amy, be careful. I will!

"I will"