Chapter 16

"HUHUHUHUHUHU"

 "Ouch! Why did you kick me?"

 "Stop crying. You look like a wet baby."

 "HUHUHUHUHUHU"

 "Look, my handkerchief is wet with your tears. Have mercy!"

 "I don't care, Kenneth!" I said. "Eddie is really a terrible person and Liz is a terrible friend! I don't know what to do! Huhuhuhuhu! I look like shit right now."
 "I know you didn't rush in unwillingly."

 "I'm really down!"

Now I was rubbing my face on his uniform."Hey, do you want to wash my uniform?"I scooted away and looked at him. I sniffed.

 "I just want to feel better, you know."Then he smiled at me. "I have an idea."

***

The two of us ended up at the Esplanade on the side of the iloilo river with Rico.
He bought street foods at the entrance. As we walked to the hangout for skateboarders, Rico said. "I'm really glad you agreed. You have quite the social center of Greenfield."

 "Yes. It's been a weird year."

 When I opened my phone. I have five messages for Liz. It was late in the afternoon, so it was a bit cold here on the esplanade.

 Where are you?
HELLOOOOO. CALL ANNALYN.
Where are you?
Blaine?!
Why are not you replying?!

 "Are you okay? Is there a problem?" Rico asked, pushing up his glasses at the bridge of his nose.

 "I feel, I'm being eaten alive from the inside." I admitted. "It sucks."

 "Being a teenager sucks." He agreed.

 "Have you ever thought and said 'How did I get to this situation?'

 "Yeah. Sometimes. You bump into a pretty intense crowd these days." Rico noticed."It's shocking.""You have also changed a lot. The BGC Boy title." 

"Hmm."

"It's cool. Don't get me wrong."

We sat at the stoned stairs going down. "But I'm still here with the Blaine I knew in Grade 8. I think he's really something."

 "Well, I don't think he's the same." Rico smiled. "Nah, but with all the bullshits. I think you're going to be a lot cooler than you are right now. You know, like me, I've still got a lot to learn too. And I just use toughness. It's just a front, so that no strangers can ever know that I care so much. And I want you to be open with me."

 "That sounds so wrong." I chuckled.He hit me not very hard.

"You have a dirty mind."

 "Just kidding. But are you serious?"

 "Yes. I want you to be open with me."

 I looked into his eyes. "I want to tell you everything."

His lips parted and he nervously ran his fingers over my chin. I couldn't move properly. He was moving closer...OH NO! Are we going to kiss?

 "Hey guys!" Rico and I suddenly moved away. It seems that Kenneth didn't see what we were going to do. He sat between us. "Here's your fish ball." Kenneth gave it to Rico. "And here's your dynamite and tempura."

 "Thank you, Kenneth."

 "Come on! Let's eat!"

****

Rico and I haven't spoken about the almost kiss. Meanwhile I was distancing myself from Liz. Or Liz avoids us. It has been a couple of days already. In our homeroom class, we were doing sitwork in our social studies. "Hey!"

I looked in front of me to see who surprised me. I thought Nirko was the only monster who scared me -_-

 "What do you want?"

"What time is the test in the horror films?" he asked

Test? Oh yes by the way! We have a test on horror films because I volunteered to the research that Sir Ballesteros said the other day. Kiko and I volunteered to be a partcipant.

"They said 2pm"

""I'll text you later!"

"Do you have my number?"

"Yeah."

"Where did you get it?"

"Uh, from Liz."

****

"to all who volunteer the horror film test please proceed to the library" Nirko and I entered the library at the same time.

"Oh, Hi Blaine" 

 "Aisha!" Nirko and I sat next to her."Oh, you also like horror movies?" Aisha asked Nirko.

 "Of course" he smiled. "Am I not allowed to like horror films?"

 "It's rare for a top 1 student." I said.

"I'm kinda different I like horror movies too" said Nirko.

 "Blaine and I loved to watch horror too. Every summer I'm hanging out in his house and rewatched the entire Scream Franchise. Sydney Presscott is a legend!"

"Oh, I love that series too!"

"What horror movies did you watch?" Aisha asked. 

 "Insidious, Friday the 13th, A nightmare on elm street, Scream, saw and final destination"

 "You're a movie educator" we both laughed

 "What's your favorite?" he asked me
 "scream too," I said

"And aren't you scared?"

"Nirko, are you that dumb? Why am I here then?"
 He made a cute face.

 "Ok, so good morning Greenfield students." said the vice president for activities affairs, Ms. Cruz. "

"Good morning Ms. Cruz." we greeted.

"Ok you may sit now" we sat together."Ok,so today we are  gathered here because the west visayas university will have their research for horror films. So these two young ladies are in their 4th year college" the two women entered "so this is Kate and Anne"

"Hello, so we are here because we will test your feeling control and we need it for our research, so just answer these questions and pass" said Kate.

"Ok please pass these papers" we got each one and passed  it to the last person at the back

When we all finished  we thanked the researchers and Ms. Cruz. I was about to leave when Nirko grabbed my arm.

 "What?"

 "let's go together"Our eyes really met, I immediately smiled while he was also looking at me. 

I thought people who liked horror movies are lame and creepy. But when Nirko said that he liked it too.  Maybe I was lame in a cool way.  I couldn't stop replaying my conversation with Nirko in my head. 

And that's when I knew I had a crush on him too. All the way down to my heart, I like you,  Nirko Dela Cruz. 

But well, he may never know that I felt any of this for him.