Chapter 21

-Blaine Sam Brodriguez Point of View-

I was sitting in front of the chapel when Rico found me there. He crossed his arms. "You again?"

"I saw you leave after our performance."

"You really did follow me here. You and Kenneth must've been telling each other everything." From keeping secrets about Denver to this?

He sat next to me. "And do you have anything you want to tell me?"

"Kenneth likes someone else. He will never like someone as weird as me." He bought one bag to eat a snack. He popped the Coca cola open  and a bag of chips. He gave the coca cola to me.

"Maybe he's  just a star."

"Why star?"

I pointed at the night sky. "Because he's impossible to reach. No matter how hard I impress someone, I'm not still not enough."

"Why do you like Kenneth so much anyway? You two don't click."

"He's tall and good-looking. He's also a basketball player. Who wouldn't like him?"

"That's your reason?"

I was annoyed by how Rico asked but I said yes. 

"From what you've been telling me since I found out you like him. It's not love, B. It's just a crush."

"What are you implying?"

"Okay, I'll give you an example." He pointed at the flowers near the entrance of the chapel. "If you like them, it's either you stare at it or  you will pluck them. But if you love them, you wil take care of it."

I looked at Rico.  "Well, I want to take care of him, I think."

Rico wasn't convinced yet. "B, don't lie to yourself."

"What? I'm not lying!"

"Yes you are."

"No, I'm not."

"That's what you always have. You're in denial." He said frankly. Then he held my wrist and checked my pulse. "Your mouth says words that aren't true. But your body can't."

"A-ah." I was beginning to panic, so I drank all the coke and stood. I didn't know what else to react. I was hurt and sad ang angry. Then I felt drops starting to fall. It was going to rain. I heard everyone from the quadrangle hurrying up and moved their tents in the corridors. 
Mine was already there, so it was safe. 

Rain started to pour over us. The smell of earth filling my nose. The drops were like little daggers stabbing in my skin. How I wished they were, because my insecurities were killing me. 

"Hey, Blaine! What are you doing?" Rico was at the hood of the chapel.

"Go back to the quadrangle, Rico. I don't need you here." 

"Blaine, get over here!"

I glared at him. "Then Why?! Tell me why, Ric? I don't get it! Why doesn't Kenneth like me? Am I this bad? And I'm also gay! Why can't he just..." I didn't continue because I was already breaking down. 

I dropped on my knees.  Is it too much to ask for that one thing? Is it too much to ask to change?

"Why can't he accept me, Ric?" My voice was breaking. "There's no cure for this broken heart."

He knelt down and pulled me close to him. Rico wrapped his arms around me. I started sobbing hard. It was several seconds before he spoke in a comforting voice. "I can be your cure, B."

 I hugged him tighter and I buried my head in his chest. "Please, don't leave me."

"I won't." He muttered to my ear. "I promise."