11. French Heartbreak

838 words

It was the French GP, le Circuit Paul Ricard. It was a circuit Charles knew very well as it was one that he had raced at since he was younger. After qualifying, he was on pole, which as you can imagine he was very happy about but with Max behind. It was going to be tough but that was racing for you. It was also what Charles loved about racing- the challenge. He was feeling pressure but he knew how to deal with it and was very calm going into the weekend, him comforting you more as you always worried about him when he was racing. "I will be fine, ma cherie. Everything will be fine." He said.
"I know, baby. But I worry, you know I always do, I would hate for anything to happen to you."
"I know and I would be the same about you. But really, I'll be okay. I'm going to go out there and beat them all, ma cherie."
"I know you will, baby." You smiled, making him smile.
Like every racing driver, Charles was very competitive so he wanted to win every race but he was in prime position on pole so he wanted that victory more than ever. Plus, Max already had 6 wins under his belt and Charles only had 3. Hopefully the car would perform today. Ferrari had been having some reliability issues and strategy issues, causing Charles to miss out on multiple wind.
Before the race, you wished him luck and gave him a hug and a kiss like you always did. "Je t'aime, baby. Be safe."
"I will be. Je t'aime. (I love you)"
The race itself started well, Charles fighting Max off, defending so he wouldn't pass him. Everything was going smoothly (for an F1 race), you were watching on with pride from the engineers station so you could hear and see everything that was going on, occasionally running out to the pit lane to cheer for him when he passed even though he couldn't see or hear you. It was still early in the race, lap 17 of 53, but you knew Charles would do well. You could feel it.
One lap later, you knew you had spoken too soon. Charles' scarlet Ferrari went spinning into the tire barrier, opening up the race lead for Max.
"No!" You shouted at the screen. "What happened?" You asked around the engineers but you were shortly answered by Charles' pained shouts from the car, "No!" He shouted, "I cannot go to full throttle!" Your heart broke for him, knowing how much he needed this win and the car had let him down again. What followed broke your heart into a million pieces. "NOOOOOOO!" Charles screamed out of pure heartbreak and frustration. You watched the screen as he stood up and threw off his gloves and walked away. You went out to the exit of the paddock to be there for when he got there. When he did, he was incredibly frustrated and angry. He had kept his helmet on so he wouldn't have to look at anyone but you knew him well enough to know he was beyond upset. "Hey baby." You said sadly, you really felt for him. You pulled him into a tight hug which he gratefully leaned into but didn't hug you back. "Hey." His voice was low but you could hear the pain in it.
"Come on," you took his hand gently and led him back to his hospitality room where you took off his helmet for him. He looked down at the floor as soon as you had removed it. So you just held him close, not knowing what else would help. You rubbed his back gently and played with his hair as you both just sat there in silence. He sat up more, suddenly and wrapped his arms around you, burying his head in the crook of your neck. "Merci, ma cherie. (Thank you, my darling)" He said quietly. You smiled, "of course." You whispered into his hair, where you were giving him gentle, comforting kissed of his head. He always liked those and you thought it was cute but right now you just wanted to help him.
——————————————————————————————————————————————————
After a while, you helped him get changed for the media he had to do at the end of the race and help him prepare mentally for it. He was emotionally drained and you could see he had no energy but he had to do it. When he saw everyone at the end of the race, they all gave their condolences, even Max.
After media and meetings, you took him home where you cooked dinner and had a very chill and cuddly evening. He was quite clingy but you didn't mind, it was understandable. You knew he was angry at the car and the team but that was for another day. Tonight was for comfort.
"I love you, Y/N. Thank you."
"I love you too, Charles."
"I don't know what I'd do without you."
"Me neither, baby. Me neither."