17. Betrayal

1377 words

Having been around F1 most of your life, you had become quite familiar with the drivers even if you hadn't met them. There was one who always stood out to you and you would always cheer for him that little bit more from the grand stands. Charles Leclerc. You and your best friend Charlotte would always compare people who you thought were good looking and every time you would say Charles and she would say Daniel. You had to admit, Daniel's personality was golden- so pure and wholesome. But then there was Charles. To you he was perfect- he was so kind and respectful of everyone, not to mention he was hot and cute at the same time. Like what? How could anyone be that blessed?
You were in Monaco, your home, to watch the race from the Ferrari garage. You and Charlotte had been invited by Charles to watch him race and support him all weekend and of course you couldn't let that opportunity slide. You would admire him whenever you thought no one was looking and he would subconsciously and not very subtly flirt with you all weekend and you would return the gesture back. You went home at the end of each day with a fire lit inside you, growing bigger every time you interacted with him.
However, you found that by Sunday Charles had started to disappear. He wouldn't come to see you after he got out of the car or when he was done with meetings. He wouldn't flirt back with you when you talked and he would walk past you and not even acknowledge you. This hurt because he was being so friendly with you at the start of the week. Had you upset him? Oh god. You hoped not. You also noticed that Charlotte had become a little more secretive throughout the week. When you asked her where she was going, she would brush it off and not give you a straight answer. You had seen Charles and Charlotte together a few times but thought nothing of it. Charles had been showing you affection. Not her. She didn't even like Charles anyway. She liked Daniel, just like she had told you all those times.
——————————————————————————————————————————————————
The following weeks were torturous for you. You had Charles' number during Monaco week and had texted a lot but now he would just leave you on read or give you short one-word answers. This annoyed you as you were becoming more and more paranoid. Charlotte wasn't much better either. She was once someone you would go to for everything and now she wouldn't even speak to you. This was the longest you had gone without her and it was killing you. You needed your best friend.
During Monaco, you had also met Charles' brother, Arthur. He was very nice and you got his number so you could stay friends. You had texted a bit but he was usually busy so you didn't bother him much. However, today you thought you would take matters into your own hands with Charles. Hey Arthur, sorry to bother you but Charles has been so distant lately, is he okay? You messaged, I'm just worried that's all x
You received a response in a few minutes: Hey Y/N. That's quite alright, don't worry. Yes I think Charles is fine, he's not been weird with me so idk what's going on. Sorry x
Don't worry, thanks. You replied, a little deflated. Then an idea popped into your head, you hoped you were wrong but you weren't taking chances anymore. Is Charles in a new relationship?
Yeah, I thought you'd know about that. Him and Charlotte have been dating since just after Monaco. Did no one say anything?
No... His words broke you. You slid down your wall, tears streaming down your face all of a sudden. How could they? Why? You decided to call Charlotte but surprise, surprise she didn't answer. You called Charles again and he finally picked up just as you were going to end the call. "Y/N?" He sounded surprised.
"How could you?" You screamed at the phone. You knew he knew what you were talking about but he played dumb which really got on your nerves. "What are you taking about? Calm down."
"You know exactly what I'm talking about, don't act dumb now, Charles. And if you really don't know, just look to your side. I know she's there." You spat.
"Look, I'm sorry but I like Charlotte. Not you. I never did." Charles said, he wasn't sorry.
"No. You did, I know you did. Was everything in Monaco all fake to you?" You cried, hoping he would crack.
"Monaco?" He sounded genuinely confused.
"You flirted with me all week and then you left me. Why?" You were more angry now, how could he treat you like that?
"You knew?" Charles had gone quieter now. He sounded like he was moving into a different room.
"Of course I did, you weren't subtle. I thought you genuinely liked me Charles. And I had hope because if I'm honest, I really liked you too. And even now, I can't even hate you. Your stupid voice making me feel this way even if I am beyond annoyed with you."
"You do? Y/N, I messed up. Hold on, I need to explain but I'm coming to you. Stay at home, I'm 10 minutes away." You could hear him getting ready to leave. You didn't particularly want to see him but it didn't sound like you had much of a choice. You hung up without saying anything and waited for him.
10 minutes later, he was at your door. You opened it reluctantly. His eyes were red like yours and you suddenly hated yourself even if it was his fault. "Y/N." He breathed, "Oh my god. I am so sorry. You didn't understand, I was so stupid."
"You were," you agreed, speaking in monotone. Suddenly, he pulled you into a hug. It felt genuine although you were still confused with what was going on. You brought him in and told him to explain- you still had a small grain of hope left in you. "I was so stupid, how could I let you go like that?" He kept repeating the same thing.
"Explain." You said as he sat down in your living room.
"I don't like Charlotte. I like you. A lot. I was stupid and I panicked when I saw you flirting back but I thought you were doing it out of pity. I didn't think someone as beautiful and as perfect as you would ever want me. But now I see that I shouldn't have left you. Especially not for Charlotte. I treated you like dirt, I am so sorry." You saw a tear run down his cheek and you gently wiped it away. You had tears running down your face too but you were too distracted to notice them. "Will you let me start over?" Charles pleaded.
"Yeah." You choked through the tears, you really wanted this to be real. You looked up into his eyes for the first time in weeks. You had missed those beautiful eyes. Anyone would get lost in them. Before you knew what was happening, you were both leaning in. You lips connected and it was like nothing bad had ever happened. Everything in that moment was perfect. You pulled away with a smile on your face despite everything that had happened.
"I am so sorry, ma cherie. Can we put that behind us? I know you might not be able to bu-"
"Charles!" You interrupted his rambling, "I want this. I want you. You are forgiven, okay?" You spoke gently before reconnecting your lips. Each kiss with Charles was like the first, just as exciting and sweet. You cuddled with him for the rest of the night and he carried you to bed when you fell asleep on him. As he was leaving to sleep on the sofa, you pulled him back. "Stay." Was all you said. And that was enough for him. You felt as the bed dipped and you felt the warmth of your favourite person on the bed next to you. You couldn't have been happier.

A/N: Hey guys! Hoped you enjoyed this one, I actually really enjoyed writing it even though it was a bit longer. I just want to say (I probably should've said it at the start but oh well 😁) I have no hate towards Charlotte. I think her and Charles are an amazing couple and she is gorgeous but I just wanted to make a story like this because I have seen them before and lots of people like them (myself included 😁 I like plot twists even if this one was predictable 😂) Make sure to let me know what you thought anyway!
Remember, you are loved and strong and beautiful ❤️
-A