Chapter 7

“Answer me again…you really know nothing about the Demon King?” FBI Special Agent Donald Ferguson asked Lisa Carlson. Lisa began crying. She had planned to spend the night with her boyfriend Shaun, but instead the FBI ransacked her home. Shaun would probably never talk to her again. 

“We told you we don’t know anything about this Demon King!” her father exclaimed. He and his wife had been out of town visiting Lisa's grandmother when he received a phone call from the authorities that his daughter had been taken to the local police headquarters. “You’ve had us here for hours. When are you going to let us go?”

Agent Ferguson sighed, “I’ll be right back.”

He had a hangover and he was tired. His supervisor had asked him to come in early today to question the Carlson family. The FBI team found nothing in their sweep of the Carlson house the night prior.

A short Hispanic man from IT came walking towards Donald, “Hey Ferguson. Our analysts looked but we couldn’t find anything that shows the computers in the Carlson house have ever logged onto the Demon King forums. Whoever posted that picture of Eva Lewis used some kind of spoof IP address and it happened to be one that matched a laptop in their home. “

“You’ve got to be kidding me. People can do that now?”

“You’d be surprised at what people can do. We even have apps that let you spoof the number you’re calling from.”

“Unbelievable,” Agent Ferguson muttered. “So do we have any leads on where the picture came from?”

“No. If he logs on again as the Deadly Disciple, we might be able to try and pinpoint his location.”

“Okay. Thanks,” Donald picked up his cell and texted his partner, “No leads yet.”

At Her Home

Special Agent Sally Roux was looking at the text message from her partner, Donald Ferguson. She had just been given the green light to return to work and would soon begin working on the Deadly Disciple case. According to the case file, he was a copycat killer of the serial killer known as the Demon King. The Demon King had brutally killed many woman and was now dead. The Demon King also had a crazy following that called themselves his disciples. Now there was one disciple in particular that was calling himself the Deadly Disciple. He was murdering hookers and had possibly kidnapped a local reporter, Eva Lewis.

Sally popped an Advil. She had gone out with her friends last night and had a little too much to drink. Okay, scratch that…a lot too much to drink. Unfortunately, she now found herself sitting at her breakfast table across from the FBI shrink, Dr. Colin Spencer.

“Do you feel uncomfortable?” he asked her.

“Well I don’t exactly feel comfortable…so uncomfortable is probably the best way to describe myself right now,” Sally took a bite of her jellied toast.

“So do you think last night was a mistake,” Colin asked as he buttered his dry toast in a very matter of fact tone as if he were asking about the weather.

Sally inwardly groaned as she thought of the implications of last night. They couldn’t date. He had been her shrink and it was unethical. She wasn’t even sure if she liked him as a human being much less a potential love interest. Sally watched him as he methodically took a bite of his now buttered toast. He wore thin rimmed glasses and his shaggy dark hair was kind of sexy if she was being honest to herself. He was definitely handsome…in a bookish sort of way. He looked comfortable in his grey slacks and black tee. Sally licked some stray jelly from her lips.

“Listen Sally, I’m not going to lie to you. I feel it is best to be open and honest in all relationships. I didn’t expect you to call me last night but I’m really glad that you did. We can’t date as long as we both work for the FBI. You were my patient and that would be unethical. I could lose my license. Although, I should also add that I am undeniably attracted to you.”